BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Self Meida Promotion

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Friedlander
Self Meida Promotion
on Jul 20, 2013 at 7:34:57 pm

I have been video camera and editing for at least fifteen years. Traveled the globe doing short documentaries and field work.
I recently attended a prestigious school in which I got lots of connections in the television industry of which I would like to get into this area with. Unfortunatly all of these connections fell through and I have emailed them twice or even three times at different points with my cover letter requesting if they had any work for me.

Ideally I would want to work for an organization where I would be delivering content from overseas on a more steady pace with a paycheck ans stable job other then freelancing a few weeks or months here and there..
I setup a website with promo reels, resumes and began blogging with work related events.
My question being, how can I get noticed and get attention in all the right areas with companies with this sort of thing? Boost my profile.
peterfriedlander.org

Return to posts index

Andy jackson
Re: Self Meida Promotion
on Jul 22, 2013 at 8:26:32 pm

Hi Peter "You and a million others"

Its not your fault peter. You can work your nuts off promoting in this business and get nothing.
Its the way this industry is.

Too much competition working for free or peanuts.

Its a dying industry and will never get better!

You will be very lucky to get a staff job with a guaranteed salary and the majority of independents also use freelancers.

Smaller budgets don`t help either. Its a race to the bottom.

Best look for a more rewarding career where you will also be more appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:11:43 pm

Andy-

Stupid question: If you are so soured on the video production business and have, in fact, gotten out of it, WHY are you still hanging around here spreading your negativity? Just because you found yourself in a commodity position and unable (or unwilling) to compete doesn't mean that everyone else is doomed.

Many people here in the COW, as well as those few who don't even use the COW's resources, have special skills and unique talents. They get work.

People like Todd Terry are exceptionally good at what they do, but choose to do it in a section of the economy which allows him and his people to stand out as the superstars they are. Walter Biscardi is enormously talented AND he's also a near continual self-promoter -- and here's the important part -- he's a self-promoter on multiple fronts. Bob Zelin, harsh as he may be around here about the realities of the world, is an over-the-top, ardent sales go-getter. He doesn't stop knocking on the door until they let him in, even if it takes years. Me? I've specialized in technical/industrial niche markets where the fact a) that we know a LOT about the businesses our clients are in and b) that we can offer an array of allied services besides video makes us a better overall choice than our competitors. So, for a great many of us, our world is not bleak at all.

Now I'll spend some time formulating an answer for Peter's original post.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:30:25 pm

Andy's doom and gloom posts are like the fake ghost in the rubber mask, that tries to scare off Shaggy, Scooby, Fred, Daphne and Velma from solving a mystery. He wants everybody else to quit the biz so his misery has some company.

Peter, you are one of the gosh-darned kids who won't let him get away with it.

Return to posts index

Peter Friedlander
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:48:10 pm

I have pity on people that show discouragement to those around that are reaching for a helping hand. Thank you for your advice?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:36:56 pm

[Peter Friedlander] "I recently attended a prestigious school in which I got lots of connections in the television industry of which I would like to get into this area with. Unfortunatly all of these connections fell through and I have emailed them twice or even three times at different points with my cover letter requesting if they had any work for me."

Well, making the connections in college and turning those into jobs after are two completely different things. The "prestigious school" really means nothing when you get out of college. While in the school, you get introduced to all sorts of super cool alumni, you share business cards, etc.... When I was at Syracuse University the coolest experience I had was meeting and chatting with Bob Costas. One of the neatest guys you'll ever meet. Didn't help me at all when I graduated.

Basically when these folks come to the schools they're offering advice and encouragement, but unless you're looking for an internship, generally these meetings don't turn into real job opportunity afterwards. Why? Well because most of us who have been industry a long time have a long list of folks we work with on a regular basis. And when we're looking for someone new, we reach out to those same people for recommendations.

[Peter Friedlander] "My question being, how can I get noticed and get attention in all the right areas with companies with this sort of thing? Boost my profile."

Intern, participate in 48 hour film festivals if you have them, get involved with User Group and organization like the Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group here in Atlanta. You need to get in front of people. Online presence alone doesn't sell you. It's too easy to just copy other people's work and throw it up online as a demo reel. I don't know how many demos I've seen that include the Video Copilot fly out from earth. Sure it's modified, but it's the same effect.

People have to get to know you and then they feel comfortable recommending you for work. How do you actually work with clients, with other crew, etc....

Reach out to production companies in your area and offer to work for free on a project or two just to get in front of them.

In some ways it's a tougher industry to get into today and in others, it's easier. Just depends on where you are. Best!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Peter Friedlander
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:47:27 pm

Thank you SO much for the ENCOURAGEMENT and ideas Walter! It really helps me out a lot. The online advice really helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]