BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

PPACA - AKA Obamacare

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve KownackiPPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:32:15 am

As October 14 comes closer, did you know Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)/Obamacare affects Sole Proprietors too? I thought it was affecting 50+ employee businesses. Here's one article I found

I just started digging into this a bit more. I know some large employers that are simply going to pay (per employee) the $95 2014, $235 2015, and $695 2016 penalty rather than offering coverage. It's complicated.

So just as the sole prop doesn't have enough time to market themselves and work... add yet more admin time to your day.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: PPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 9:03:00 pm

I dunno about the rest of you (and don't want to get on a political soap box), but here even though companies don't get much smaller than ours we still do gladly pay employees' health insurance as one of the main extra benefits of working here (that, and my sunny disposition). It's one of the best ways I know to get (and keep) good people.

And it's just the right thing to do.

We get cold calls from those cut-rate or no-name health insurance companies every so often, trying to get us to switch to them. My response to them is always "Do you want the staff here to revolt? Because if we killed the Blue Cross Blue Shield, that would happen.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Simon RoughanRe: PPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:03:40 am

Hear Hear. Healthy happy workers are productive workers. Pity more employers don't see it that way. P*sses me off no end when I hear about people doing good work for shite pay and no benefits, and the boss is driving around in a new SLK.
There's something fundamentally wrong when people have the right to a gun, but no right to a Doctor.

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling is for fools, but that's the way I like it, baby. I don't want to live forever!

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: PPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:09:13 pm

I'm with Todd on this one. Granted there are only two of us in my company, but we have a very nice Blue Cross policy that has fairly robust coverage, costs more than $47,000 a year for the 7 people covered, AND the company pays 100%. As the employer I feel responsible for the well being of two families, not just my own.

And not to get political, but when I hear that the founder of the Papa John's Pizza organization has complained that he's opposed to the US' new health care law because it will mean his company may have to raise the price of a pizza a few cents... well let's just say WTF?!?! Who would you rather have making and handling your food: someone who's unhappy and potentially ill or happy and healthy?

Not exactly on the opposite side of this, but more in the very realistic middle of what's going on is the recognition that the US healthcare system is seriously broken. It's also unlikely to be fixed anytime soon by politicians who take campaign contributions from lobbyists whose job is to perpetuate a system that puts profits and executive salaries ahead of all else. Or is there another explanation for why a Tylenol which sells for $2.99 for a bottle of 100 in any drugstore becomes a $10 fee for a single pill when its on a hospital bill?

I'd say, "Don't get me started," but apparently I already have.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: PPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:03:51 pm

[Nick Griffin] "I'd say, "Don't get me started," but apparently I already have."

To me, this isn't political, but personal.

The happy flipside of the insurance requirement is that you can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions. After I left off working with The Man to go self-employed, a pre-existing condition left me uninsurable. I'd spent myself nearly dry going it on my own when in 2006, thanks to ROMNEYcare :-) -- I was finally able to get coverage on my own.

(Not often talked about as a benefit -- once I was back under regular medical care, I became eligible for life insurance coverage, which I'd repeatedly been rejected for by every insurer in the state when I was medically uninsured.)

I couldn't afford to move anyplace else until Oregon started a state-managed high-risk pool. The insurance cost five times as much for one fifth the coverage, but at least I could get SOMETHING. My issue was never that I needed it to be cheap. I just needed it to be POSSIBLE, and for a period, it wasn't possible at all...then finally in one state, then in two, and now, everywhere.

Being free to move freely (now to California) may not seem like that big a deal to people who don't move around a lot -- but I have my entire life, probably 30 times in my 50+ years. It was sobering to find myself nailed in one spot after a life of free movement across this great land of ours (with indeed, 5 cross-country moves), and I feel more liberated than ever to know that I'm not endangering my health, or being limited in my ability to provide for my family after my passing, because insurance is finally available.

My main issue with Obamacare, ironically, is that it isn't as extensive as Romneycare, which could certainly go further. I can't think of anything that ANYBODY does -- government, business, myself -- that can't do better, but in any case, the insurance mandate has made my life so, so much better that I take any threats against it quite personally. It's the only way I can afford to manage my health, my life, and my family's future.

All the more important that we be reminded of the part we all play, Steve, and all the more reason I'm grateful for guys like you, Nick and Todd -- and for me now, Creative COW!!! -- who go the extra mile to take care of your people with 100% coverage. Blessings on you all.

Yr pal,

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: PPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 18, 2013 at 6:22:41 pm

[Nick Griffin] "And not to get political, but when I hear that the founder of the Papa John's Pizza organization has complained that he's opposed to the US' new health care law because it will mean his company may have to raise the price of a pizza a few cents..."

The poor guy. He's just barely scraping by with his $600 million of net worth, in his 40,000 square foot mansion.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my profile.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: PPACA - AKA Obamacare
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:33:50 am

We're looking into defined contribution plans. Since the Covered California/exchanges thing basically gives individuals the same coverage and rates we as a company could "negotiate", we'll give a specific amount to employees to get their own insurance and save us the hassle and administration of something they will have to manage and administer themselves anyways.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved