BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BallLooking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 5:59:55 pm

I have a potential client with a bakery concept that involves ordinary and allergy free cakes and other bakery products. They want to have us produce a video that would attract investors to their concept. They have the business creator and a word reknowned bakery chef, and kitchen where we can shoot products.

They want something about 2 minutes that would generate excitement and can possibly go viral.

Any thought or ideas? How can I create an exciting bakery product video?

Return to posts index

Steve MartinRe: Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:40:44 pm

OK I'll take a shot at the virtual whiteboard....

A take-off of a TV show - perhaps subtle references to "Let Them Eat Cake" (BBC) or "Cake Boss" (TLC) where investors can have their cake and eat it too. It would need a clever concept/script so that it appeals to investors and not come across as cheesy.

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 7:08:38 pm

Beautiful kitchen. Aga stove door slightly ajar, tracking shot across kitchen floor shows inside. A dog snoozes next to the stove, a cat walks through shot. Kitchen clock ticks lazily as rain patters on outside window. A loaf of bread is being kept warm. Warm colours and hues illuminate the kitchen. A hand reaches inside the oven and tears off a golden piece of bread. The camera follows the hand as it smears some chocolate spread on. Staying behind the person we watch them take a bite before grasping at their throat and choking for air. The camera drops back down to counter top level to show the label on reverse saying "contains hazelnuts". They comically thrash around the kitchen "nordberg" style, stepping on the dog causing it to bite their leg and follows them around the kitchen barking,, burning hands on the stove, banging head on suspended pots and pans in rhythm to music, cat flees kitchen, crockery and pots are smashed, cereal boxes spill over floor, person does "home alone" jig on the spilt cereal.

Caption says "we look after your allergies. Even if you don't know you have them"

Person hops backward past camera, burnt hand, dog biting, choking, coughing, crockery flying, cat snarls.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:59:39 pm

If this is targeted at investors then the primary concern of the potential audience is the soundness of the investment and the favorable odds that they'll get a decent or better return.

Therefore I think you should use the kitchen, etc. as B-roll, the renowned chef as a brief cameo and the majority of video as interview clips of many, many, many potential end user customers talking about how unique these products will be and how they can't find anything like them anywhere else. Let them establish the huge sales potential. (In my experience interview enough people and you can get someone saying virtually anything. You may, for legal safety have to add a super that states that this is a "Consumer Opinion.")

As for the potential for going viral I don't have any good ideas on that besides tapping into the glutten-free community so they make this one of their causes.

Best of luck and let us know how the project works out.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 1:55:04 am

Videos go viral whether you want them to or not. You can make a video you think will light up the world but then you have someone post a clip showing a baby elephant save a nun from a burning orphanage - can't compete with that.

What do you want to accomplish? Tell the world about a unique product that is safe for people with food allergies. Who is most alarmed by gluten and nuts? Moms and dads of kids born in the past 30 years. Nick is right. Let compelling interview clips setup the need for such a product then deliver the goods with some words from the inventor/chief baker with some fancy tabletop shots of the bread and a cute kid taking a bite of a sandwich. Cue piano music. Mom on camera saying "I love XYZ Bread almost as much as I love my kids". Etc.

Not necessarily viral but heartwarming is what you need.

Good luck

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:37:57 am

Your video can only be part of a broader investment pitch. The pitch overall will need to sell the business concept, the market potential, the strength of the management, the potential returns.

The video will be short and sweet, and could add the sizzle to that sausage .... maybe there's a need to build on the sell-like-hot-cakes cliches of the market segment to demonstrate the team has the vision and ability to produce and distribute very appealing product at profitable prices - business people as well as master bakers.

And overall you'd want the video to be slick and attractive, leaving the audience wanting more information ...

Return to posts index

Greg BallThanks Everyone!
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 3:33:03 pm

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and advice. You guys are the best!

Now how much should I charge? LOL!! I couldn't resist. (See the thread above this one)

Have a great rest of the week.

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Looking for ideas from the most creative guys I know
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:20:35 pm

Well, your USP is gonna be the allergy-free cakes. I would also look at organic, eco-friendly, and green-conscious baked goods as great high-concept stuff for your consumer marketing (having an existing marketing plan will make investors feel much better).

Consider: are they seeking investments from small or big investors? An example would be crowdsourcing as a small investor (a couple bucks at a pop) and you use the consumer marketing to talk about how great it will be.

For big investors or venture capital folks, they want to see real numbers with real research before they drop several thousands on a new company with no track record. Also, they want to know who the team is: the CEO, the financial, marketing, and sales folks and their track records.

Yesterday, the SEC lifted some bans on general solicitation via the JOBS act from last year (yeah, it's taking them this long to get the rules laid out) - - that COULD mean you have a broader range of potential investors, but I would definitely talk to a lawyer first since you don't want to screw with the SEC when seeking investors. ;)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved