BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Vidaao - Shop from hundreds of videographers, animators & production companies at one time!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cuevas
Vidaao - Shop from hundreds of videographers, animators & production companies at one time!
on Jun 26, 2013 at 1:10:08 pm

What's the thought about companies/production like this? Is this what the future of our industry will look like, or is it just a fancy mandy.com?

Who is Vidaao?
We are changing the way companies purchase and manage custom video production services. The first version of our site offers the elimination of the RFP process for our clients. Simply search our video samples to find the right video producer at the right price. And that is just the beginning. Read on to learn about our video project management platform.

http://www.vidaao.com/

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Vidaao - Shop from hundreds of videographers, animators & production companies at one time!
on Jun 26, 2013 at 2:41:01 pm

Off the bat, I'm not a bank: I could not afford to front all the expenses of a production and get paid after a final approval, while my money sits in an escrow account. I have crew costs to pay, gear to rent, etc. and the escrow setup forces me to take on all my costs up-front, then wait for who knows how long, before I can get paid, and pay my subs. I wouldn't take on a job unless I could at least pay off all my subs and suppliers right off the top. And what's my protection against laying out these expenses only to have a client refuse the project at the end? Do I get a portion of the escrow anyhow, or not?

I'm also not crazy about the smorgasbord catalog with price tags. The relationship of quality to price I see after skimming thru a few of the samples is, let's say, uneven. DGMW: there are some well-made pieces in there. There's also a lot of not-so-great ones, where it's just a lot of stock shots and effects slapped together with bad off-mic audio.

But I think it's not a realistic way to teach clients what something should cost, because these presentations don't come with enough detail on how much work went on behind them. Clients are always in a hurry to commoditize what we do, so they can shop for it the same way you shop for potatoes or reams of paper. But every job, EVERY job, is a custom job, unique. While I agree that the sample reels can roughly indicate a "ballpark" level of production, I think the unrealistic expectation it sets up is that two projects in the same "ballpark" are going to be identical in costs within a buck or two. The most likely effect of this used car lot kind of sample page is to increase downward pressure on my rates, which I really need no help with.

Other than that, it's cool, I guess.

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
Re: Vidaao - Shop from hundreds of videographers, animators & production companies at one time!
on Jun 28, 2013 at 9:10:17 pm

I agree with you on a lot of what you have said Mark. The biggest problem I see with this beta site is that it is 100% customer facing. The way I see it Vidaao has two clients. The video customers and the "creatives" as they call it. The site only caries information that pertains to the video customer. I think that they need to more openly explain to the videographers and editors how the contracts and payments work. Do we get paid in each step of the process (which some of their literature not posted on the site suggests) and which parts of those processes are they? what are the requirements for getting paid? Must we meet all client changes at the quoted amount? Is it one round of changes, or some other system? There are a lot of questions that would have to be answered for me to really be able to consider them as an option.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Jim Hohl
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:58:16 pm

Hi John, Mark, Doyle, and the Creative COW community!

Allow me to introduce myself and address some of your concerns. My name is Jim Hohl, and I am one of the co-founders here at Vidaao.

First of all, it's cool to see this discussion happening at all. I am glad you found our site and are interested in it.

That being said, you raise some very valid points. We definitely have to do more to enhance the experience for and the information provided to our "creatives". We are in the process of doing that.

We have some limited FAQs for creatives here: http://www.vidaao.com/faq#creatives and we are adding more.

In the meantime, I will do my best to answer your questions here. Here goes:

Do we get paid in each step of the process (which some of their literature not posted on the site suggests) and which parts of those processes are they?

- You are paid half after you post the final video for client review and the remaining half after the client approves it.

what are the requirements for getting paid?

- Same as with any client. The client has to be happy with the work.

Must we meet all client changes at the quoted amount?

- You must meet all client changes up to the agreed upon proposal. Anything outside of that is negotiated separately with the client and we will collect it for you before the client can proceed to download the final video.

Is it one round of changes, or some other system?

- We suggest two rounds of edits, but that would be something you negotiate with each client.

what's my protection against laying out these expenses only to have a client refuse the project at the end? Do I get a portion of the escrow anyhow, or not?

- We allow client's to cancel the project up to the first rough cut. After that they owe in full. Currently, we pay you half after you post the final video for client review and the remaining half after the client approves it. However, our model is shifting to be more flexible and those terms can be negotiated (up to a point) more directly with the client on each project.

I'm also not crazy about the smorgasbord catalog with price tags. The relationship of quality to price I see after skimming thru a few of the samples is, let's say, uneven.

- Totally agree with you and we just spent the past few weeks making that much more even. A lot of people who were not up to par were removed and we revamped our vetting process to make sure we keep the quality overall much higher (and yet serving a range of price points).

But every job, EVERY job, is a custom job, unique.

- Agree as well. We don't expect the "pricing" in our system to be anything more than a benchmark. (ie. $5k is totally different from $25k) You will bid each job separately.

While I agree that the sample reels can roughly indicate a "ballpark" level of production, I think the unrealistic expectation it sets up is that two projects in the same "ballpark" are going to be identical in costs within a buck or two. The most likely effect of this used car lot kind of sample page is to increase downward pressure on my rates, which I really need no help with.

- It is not in our interest either, nor in our clients' interests. We want, and we believe our model encourages, fair pricing for both sides.

is it just a fancy mandy.com?

- Definitely not! We offer much more than a listing. We collect payment, mediate disputes and provide outbound sales support to get you business - and on top of all that, we provide a platform for collaborating with the client, reviewing edits and much more.

Hope this addresses at least some of the concerns here. Feel free to reach out to me with any further questions. My LinkedIn profile is http://www.linkedin.com/in/jameshohl and I accept all inbound emails.

I'd encourage you to check us out and apply to post your profile. There is no cost or obligation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]