BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

watermark discussion

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adina Zaiontzwatermark discussion
by on May 17, 2013 at 3:21:51 pm

Hi Guys
Accidentally deleted the video watermarking thread. But feel free to post if you have any other comments on it.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: watermark discussion
by on May 17, 2013 at 7:31:58 pm

The only additional comment I'd have was to note that you said a couple of times that you couldn't add a timecode as a watermark because it was animation, or from another source, or whatever.

I never quite followed that. If you can ghost anything else (a "for approval only" graphic or whatever) on the frame you can do a timecode just as easily. In fact, easier, since you're not having to create a watermark graphic. With virtually any editor you can add a timecode with little more than one mouse click.

I just think a timecode window is much more subtle than a watermark that immediately tells the client that you've put it there on purpose because you don't trust them to pay you. A timecode burn, on the other hand, can (and often is) put there for many other legitimate reasons that are easily explained away.

But... to each his/her own.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: watermark discussion
by on May 17, 2013 at 8:18:51 pm

As Todd says, the timecode looks more innocent and "legitimate", unlikely to be taken as an insult.

And don't you DARE give them the clean copy until the check clears, under any circumstances.The clean copy and the deadline for their airdate are your only leverage.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: watermark discussion
by on May 17, 2013 at 8:34:59 pm

In addition to using the watermark on selected delivery (mostly with new clients on the first project), I always, by way of Adobe Bridge, add copyright Metadata, via a Template I created in Bridge. It allows me to select multiple files, click in the Metadata menu, and Append Metadata (the template information - copyright years, owner, etc.) and add it to any existing Metadata. It's fast, and most clients have no idea that it's there. Of course it can be deleted, but you have to know where to look, since it's not visible.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on May 17, 2013 at 8:46:48 pm

Back in the day, before exif and metadata, we either snuck an ownership/status message in line 22 closed-caption data, or made a C.G. text file that was super-tiny and placed outside of safe title, so you'd only see it in underscan.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: watermark discussion
by on May 18, 2013 at 4:35:07 pm

Ah, for the days of tape! Sometimes you wonder whether things weren't really simpler and easier when outputting to tape. Back in the late 80's I worked as producer on a show called PCTV Live - we were owned by PC Connection, and in addition to the show, we were working on a "secret" project called the PCTV Card, which would allow people watching PCTV to purchase software, then have it download through the vertical blanking interval in the TV signal. While it worked, and pretty well, the downside of the project was that at the time, no one had their TV connected to their PC. A great idea, but ahead of its' time.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Adina ZaiontzRe: watermark discussion
by on May 24, 2013 at 3:22:03 pm

Thanks Joseph/ Todd/ Mark,
Like I said... I cannot physically do any of what you suggested as I am not the creator of the file.. I am just the writer and director of this piece and havent touched the editing software at all. I think next time I will do the timecode thing on every version from the very beginning. This time I have instructed the video producer to add a watermark. I will also try the metadata thing that Joe was referring to. thanks for all the advice!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: watermark discussion
by on May 26, 2013 at 11:14:27 pm

[Adina Zaiontz] " I cannot physically do any of what you suggested as I am not the creator of the file... I have instructed the video producer to add a watermark."

I'm guessing that being a producer and writer you are not an editor, and don't know what is easily doable and what isn't. No big deal, we don't all do everything.

But it really is easy. If you are able to "instruct your producer to add a watermark" you can just as easily "instruct your producer to add a timecode." It really is just as easy. In fact, it's easier... as virtually all NLEs allow you to more or less simply click on an on-screen time code. For a watermark, the editor would have to physically create and overlay it as a super. Not hard, but not as easy as the timecode. If they can do one, they can do the other.

But... whatever works. Watermarks though do make you look suspicious of the clients, whereas timecodes look legit.

If you'd rather have a watermark than a timecode, that's perfectly fine. But that's a "I don't want to do that" situation, not a "I can't do it." Either is easy, and if your editor's hardware will do one, it will do the other.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: watermark discussion
by on May 27, 2013 at 9:48:51 pm

Just a primer for the new folks.

This is a window dub template for a client you trust and like.

This is a window dub template for a client you don't.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2013 at 11:05:43 pm

LOL, but TRUE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]