BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Fair rate for creating Digital Signage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stacy Obakpolor
Fair rate for creating Digital Signage
on May 14, 2013 at 2:22:55 pm

Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma. Soon I'll be charged with creating Digital creative for an advertising agency. Basically, I'm to create custom digital signage. Each collateral will be between 15 - 30 seconds in length. A colleague suggested I charge a flat rate for each sign ( not to exceed 30 seconds). Problem is, this is my first gig as a professional and I don't want to sell myself short or over-charge.

Some insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
Re: Fair rate for creating Digital Signage
on May 14, 2013 at 2:50:50 pm

Hi Stacy,
I would stay away from flat rates. Perhaps one job demands much more complicated or intricate work than another.
I would charge an hourly rate. What you charge per hour depends on location, the competition, experience, software used, quality of your work etc etc. If youre 20 years old and living at Hotel Mumanddad, you would probably expect less than if youre 40 and paying off a house.

Good luck
Simon

Return to posts index

Stacy Obakpolor
on May 14, 2013 at 3:26:43 pm

[Simon Roughan] "Hi Stacy,
I would stay away from flat rates. Perhaps one job demands much more complicated or intricate work than another.
I would charge an hourly rate. What you charge per hour depends on location, the competition, experience, software used, quality of your work etc etc. If youre 20 years old and living at Hotel Mumanddad, you would probably expect less than if youre 40 and paying off a house.

Good luck
Simon"

Thanks Simon! I appreciate the prompt response :)

Return to posts index

Matt Hall
on May 14, 2013 at 6:14:05 pm

I agree with Simon. The agency will most likely want a budget number beyond the hourly rate. My typical approach is to provide an estimate based on a an assumed amount of hours it will take. For example:

The quote is $XXXX. This is based on an assumed time of X hours at $X per hour to produce (description of video content and tech specs).

It also may make sense for you to include the rounds of revisions that are included in your estimate. Speaking as someone who works at an agency, rounds of revisions can sometimes go on forever. Language you could use could be like this:

This estimate is based on 2 rounds of agency revisions plus 2 rounds of client revisions. Work beyond this will be additional and charged hourly.

Depending on the agency you are working with, you should also ask about payment terms - it is not uncommon for payments to take 4 months or longer to process. You might want to bill part up front and part at completion of the job.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 14, 2013 at 6:20:48 pm

What is your deliverable?

Digital signage is weird. I'm not even sure how to begin. Basically, know your deliverable and your market. $250/deliverable is my rate. For digital signage is often a mograph background and a Scala template. The mograph is 1 deliverable. The Scala template is another. The vendor of the signage system (that I'm very familiar with) charges about double that rate because their deliverable delves into code banging and auto-executables in VBS. If you're moving into VBS then you should charge more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]