BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Dove "Real Beauty"

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Dove "Real Beauty"
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:47:16 pm

Most of you might have seen this campaign since it's been getting a lot of buzz over the past few days, but if not....

I think it's just beautiful, and one of the best pieces of (subtle) advertising work I've seen in a while.

And it does what I'm always preaching to clients, "Tell a story."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Dove "Real Beauty"
on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:00:25 pm

If that doesn't take a Clio, there ain't no justice.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:23:37 pm

Saw this earlier today... brilliant! Great emotion. Now go tell your special someone they're beautiful.

Steve

Return to posts index

Roy Schneider
on Apr 18, 2013 at 2:11:10 pm

Wonderful piece

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Tyler Grutsch
on Apr 18, 2013 at 3:59:36 pm

My fiance actually showed this to me. What a simple and amazing concept for a video. It's videos like this that make me want to keep getting better as a filmmakerproducer. The work inspiring.

Tyler Grutsch
Wise Foley Entertainment
http://www.wisefoleyentertainment.com
Missoula, MT
406-396-9253

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:04:15 am

And yet there's this massive backlash from people on Facebook about it, claiming it's not good enough, does not adequately represent all women, and places too much emphasis on society's idea of what beautiful is. That it's merely a corporate giant's attempt to manipulate women.

I hate those permanently sour-grapes people. It's a beautiful spot that reminds us that our self esteem in fact does affect everything we do, and perhaps our self esteem should be higher because we are in fact or own worst critics.

P

I shoot people.
http://www.patrickortman.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:38:45 am

No, the issue is that it portrays women's self esteem as coming from exterior beauty. That a woman's self worth is defined by her looks...which is a wrong thing to do. There is no video about men wanting to be handsome, and basing their self esteem off that.

It's stereotypical nonsense. Women judged by outward appearances.

Now, don't get me wrong, I liked the piece. Too many women, a lot of their self esteem does come from how they look, or perceive how others see them. And showing that others seem them as looking better than they see themselves...it's a boost. The backlash is that it seems to tout beauty as the ONLY factor in self esteem and judging women.

After all...they are the ones that say, "do these jeans make my butt look big?" Guys don't say that...we don't care. "Does this shirt make my gut stick out?" We don't care, we wear the shirt, gut hanging out and all. But that's the point...women shouldn't focus on that part of themselves that much. Too much emphasis is put on their looks. THAT I agree with (being a father of three daughters). Still, looks are part of their self.

I myself do hope I'm handsome...and don't want my gut to hang out. But that's a minor part of my self. Mainly I hope others see me as smart.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 19, 2013 at 2:52:29 pm

God that parody is BRILLIANT. I wish I had done that.

As for the real campaign... I can understand a bit why there might be some backlash against this... but you have to look at the big (or maybe rather the small) picture...

This was not a piece designed by psychologists, to see what women really think about themselves. It wasn't created by by women's studies experts to look at the effects of perception and society. It wasn't made by some advocacy group wanting to help women feel better about themselves.

It's advertising. Period.

We say our job around here is to "sell soap," and that's what this is trying to do. Literally.

It's manipulative. Very very manipulative. And I'm not using that as a dirty word, that's exactly what it's supposed to do... just like all advertising is designed to do.

Look at these gals. No, none of them are Russian supermodels. But they aren't the average lady picked out of the line waiting at the DMV, either. Most of them are (by our current aesthetic standards) actually quite pretty. A couple of them, very much so. That's pretty much the way advertising works. Heck, even look at the forensic artist. When watching that here at our office the first time a few days ago, my business partner said "Wow, the artist looks like George Clooney." And yeah... he kinda does. Sadly or no, we don't usually pick ugly people to be on TV. You're never going to see Honey BooBoo's mom in a Dove commercial, even one celebrating all women.

And I disagree a little bit in the argument that men don't care what they look like. I think we all do to different degrees. We all have doppelgängers... and years ago I had two: William Hurt (although he's a bit older than me), and an actor named Michael E. Knight who played "Tad" on "The Young and the Restless." In fact, a number of people called me "Tad" instead of "Todd." I liked that. They were both good looking guys. Flash forward 15 years, yesterday standing in a line a stranger tells me "You know, you look just like Jimmy Buffett." I tried to pass that off on my baseball cap, Hawaiian shirt, and cargo shorts... but that's not the first time I've heard that. Not that Jimmy Buffett looks bad, but who wouldn't rather look like a soap star?

But I digress. (actually my true doppelgänger is Boise State football coach Chris Petersen... I have to admit I look like him, though most people don't know him)

The Dove campaign is just advertising. And I think it's darn brilliant.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:48:59 pm

Well look at that...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:28:04 am

my wife, who is not easily impressed with any advertising, thought it was a brilliant ad, that tackled a very real issue that women face. That many women don't feel good about themselves and carry a much lower self esteem than men do. Or that other women see themselves as. Older women especially face that problem.

I was astonished and very impressed with the ad. It was very gutsy approach to getting their name spun in a very positive way. For those that hated the ad on FB, all I can say is, the best advertising is edgy, and will piss some people off yet get huge attention. The 1984 Apple ad still can be remembered by anyone that has ever seen it by just saying, "1984 Apple Ad" Regardless of what you think of Apple, that is power.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]