BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Brackenwhat setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:07:35 pm

I love the video of the zoom in and spin on the food commercials (McDonalds, Dairy Queen, etc.)

What camera, tripod, dolly, etc. do they use to get those shots?

The best guess I can come up with is a camera jib and a lazy susan for the product.

If anyone shoots commercials like that in the Houston area, hit me up! I want to see one day.

Thanks!
Bobby

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:18:31 pm

When we have done it we used a jib. However, what really makes food look good is a great food artist. Food doen't look the best on camera, there are lots of tricks to make it look more appealing.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Matt HallRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:26:36 pm

here's a good article about it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/business/in-food-commercials-flying-dough...

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:44:59 pm

That is a great article Matt.

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Emre TufekciogluRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:11:50 pm

Tabletop dolly is also very preferable, the slow short radius allows for a very nice parallax that you can't get with a lazy Susan. Here is another behind the scenes video:

Return to posts index

Emre TufekciogluRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:19:58 pm

I just saw a very nice table top dolly at nab, their website is :

http://www..kamerar.com

http://kamerar.theshoppad.com/#/product/cinema-skater-dolly-system

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 19, 2013 at 12:17:45 am

So wild, cause the original P+S Technik skater dolly was like... a bazillion times more money than this one.

I shoot people.
http://www.patrickortman.com

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:30:26 pm

In a past life as the client/creative director on a shoot of the step-by-step building of a Big Mac I was able to observe a brilliant photographer and equally brilliant food stylist at work. And, as I recall, we had to have a "rules" expert from McDonalds there to be sure that we were presenting their product perfectly.

One small trade secret I learned that day was that the burger was coated in Vaseline so it would keep its glisten. Yummie!! Also, nothing about applying sauce with an eyedropper or pieces of lettuce and onion with tweezers in the Canadian video was any different from what the stylist on my shoot was doing years ago. And did you know that McDonalds has a specification book for literally EVERYTHING. From working on that I learned that they have a spec for exactly how many sesame seeds are on the bun's top and what their distribution needs to be.

As to Robert wanting to see a high-end food film or video shoot in Houston, I wouldn't count on it. While still photographers can be a little more spread out, the guys shooting high end food tend to be very small in number and working near the agencies in New York, Chicago and LA. Back in the day they also tended to do little else besides food. I don't remember his name but there was also one in the Chicago area who specialized in water shots. If the spot had a scene of a refreshing splash of water going through it, it was almost always from this guy.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: what setup do they use to shoot those food commercials?
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:48:39 am

I wonder what the fast food restaurant specifications are for how many times you can drop the frozen patty on the floor before cooking!

Just kidding, I'm sure my own experience as a teenager was an anomoly.

Do the food companies realize that no matter how much effort they make to stylize their food, it never looks like that when you actually buy it. I know it is marketing, but food marketing is some of the most deceptive. Granted you would not put a picture of a squished greasy burger or dried, shrunked nuggets in a tv commercial.

Interesting video and links.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]