BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How much to charge for one episode of Live from Daryl's House?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Stanton
How much to charge for one episode of Live from Daryl's House?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:34:41 pm

I'm looking for some thoughts on how much you all here would charge to shoot and edit one episode of the web-tv series "Live from Dary's House." Here's an example episode: http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=58

Live audio will be mixed by someone else and will be a separate cost not figured into this estimate.

5 cameras, with four operators.

I'm looking for an estimate for a 15 minute episode and a 30 minute episode. Any guesses?

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How much to charge for one episode of Live from Daryl's House?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:10:02 pm

I've heard of that show, but had never seen it... watched a couple of minutes of it, and scrolled through some of the rest. It's pretty good (and my era of music).

That's a big enough project that'd it take some real time, maybe a few hours, to sit down and really budget it correctly...

But since you asked for a "guess"...

Just completely pulling some numbers out of my ear without even remotely putting pencil to paper... my completely wild guesstimate would be something in the $50-100K neighborhood.

That's just based on the length, production values, the toys that I can tell would take to shoot it (in addition to the ones I could actually see)...

Cheaper if you shot multiple episodes in a single day.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:12:37 pm

[Todd Terry] "It's pretty good (and my era of music)."

I think it's a gas. Guys in their 40s and up will be amply rewarded for the time they spend looking for the episode featuring Todd Rundgren. :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:03:07 pm

Tim, you have killed my weekend, with the Rundgren comment, darn you.

(an aside) But I can be saved, if I had my new uploaded script doctor's episode to read on the COW... could that happen before NAB gets in full swing?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:16:31 pm

[Mark Suszko] "could that happen before NAB gets in full swing?"

I honestly don't know. The press release deluge has already begun on the backside. They're not live until the show opens of course, but we're loadin' 'em in.

Drop me a note offline, though. I'd definitely like to see it happen.

[Mark Suszko] "Tim, you have killed my weekend, with the Rundgren comment, darn you. "

Yeah, me too. I've been watching a couple of the clips more than once already. :-)

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Alex Stanton
on Apr 6, 2013 at 4:25:09 am

My guess was somewhere in this range as well, though I had thought to charge the potential client looking to do something similar closer to the 15k range per episode. Am I crazy/undercutting myself?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:37:52 pm

[Alex Stanton] " I had thought to charge the potential client looking to do something similar closer to the 15k range per episode. "

Well, certainly you can do a $15K video, and do a very nice job, something to be proud of. We do those every day.

You just can't do that video for $15K.

There's tons of pre-prod in that, good bit of post-prod, not to mention the fairly sizable crew and quite a few expensive toys that went into it. There's probably easily a quarter million dollars of camera, lighting, and camera support gear there alone. And possibly a lot more than that, depending on exactly what they were shooting and lighting with.

When a potential client asks me how much something costs, my usual smartass answer is "How long is a road? Just depends on where you want to go, and what kind of scenery you'd like along the way." But what I really want to say is "Well, how much ya got?" This is one of those cases, though... if you have a maximum ceiling, then back into what you can spend, and give the client the most/best you can for that money.

Don't give away the farm, though... remember it's not just equipment to pay for, crew to pay, and all those hard costs... but your time is valuable and has a costs too, and there will be probably many many hours of it (at whatever rate your time is worth). That's the first thing a lot of people neglect, since it's just your time and that technically doesn't cost anything. But it does. Unless this is just a hobby which you do for free... which I'm assuming it isn't.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:36:40 pm

I had no idea Daryl's show existed but after one taste, I'm an instant fan, I'm filling up my ipod with all these awesome covers.

The show is deceptive in that it doesn't "look" like it is "lit" all that much, but that's exactly what costs extra, getting the intimate feel and look without the seams showing all over. The audio work alone on this show is outstanding and the costs in getting it so polished don't show on screen, but you can hear it.

I don't know that the songs are really all done live in one take, but if they are, that's astounding.

Return to posts index

Alex Stanton
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:10:39 pm

Thanks for the thoughts on this. We are lucky to have a sizable investor interested in getting absolutely the best equipment necessary, so that at least is taken care of. Again, thanks for weighing in.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:10:33 pm

I second the audio quality, wow, they did a great job with that.

Chris

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Apr 9, 2013 at 9:17:25 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "I second the audio quality, wow, they did a great job with that."

Ditto that. I think they did a great job on all of it and couldn't help but notice the COW's own Marco Solorio in the credits, which may mean that one or more the the cams was a DSLR or maybe even a Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

But... what I don't get is the finances of the series. Did the bourbon, the apparent sponsor, pick up the cost of the whole show?? Even if Todd's estimate is too high, which I don't think it is given the overall quality of production, where does the money come from? Is this a Daryl Hall ego project and the musicians are working for free? I'd love to know the business details of this project.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:09:42 am

I want to know what the clearance rights and fees for the songs cost per episode!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:59:04 am

A co-worker told me about this show and I started collecting them in my DVR. It wasn't until a few weeks back when Norm Abram from This Old House visited the Daryl Hall homestead in Connecticut (I think) to check out his expansive restored New England house and studio. I guess the 80's were very very good to Mr Hall, as he has a beautifully restored house and a real affinity for history it turns out.

So I chose the episode with Smokey Robinson and I too am hooked. Turns out Daryl handed his demo to Smokey in NY in the 70's and Smokey got it to a record exec, or something. Smokey seemed unaware that this happened, but laughed it off, and then sang the heck out of

Yeah, as others have said, as with any project, you factor the cost of crew, equipment rental, post and profit. For a show of this caliber, if that is what you are going for, your costs increase as you need camera and sound folks to equal the talent on camera. This is not a "hire guys off craigslist" project.

Are you formulating a series or a one off, because some economies of scale come into a series.

Fun stuff.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:03:23 am

Here is the clip from This Old House

Would love to see a COW article about the making of this show which has been running for over 30 years.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Alex Stanton
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:45:57 am

Is this a Daryl Hall ego project and the musicians are working for free?

My inclination is to "somewhat" to the first part and "absolutely not" to the second.

The bourbon sponsor likely ponied up some cash, but remember that at least at this point, the show is syndicated on several TV channels, so they are likely getting some money back from that. But yes, I would suspect that at least initially, Hall was fronting the cash just to do it. But I could be wrong.

The project I am concepting/producing with the client is a series, yes, so some economy of scale will certainly come into play.

I'd be interested to hear Marco's thoughts on the show, but he is likely NDA'd on the show, if I had to guess. Someone on Hall's own forum, clearly associated with the show, recently posted about taking on a new director who wanted to use DSLRs from then on out. I didn't see Marco's name in the credits, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the new director or at least has something to do with the switch to DSLRs.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:13:05 pm

[Alex Stanton] "the show is syndicated on several TV channels"

OK, then that makes a lot more sense. I was under the mis-impression that this was another web-only show. There's been a lot of buzz around them lately and the productions I've seen so far have almost always been fairly modest in terms of assets. Nothing about Daryl's House looks cheap or down and dirty.

Return to posts index

Peter Moshay
on Apr 11, 2013 at 2:37:47 am

Hey All,
I do the audio/production for the http://www.LiveFromDarylsHouse.com show.
I can give you some real info about it.

1. Cameras & lighting has changed on a regular basis since the start. The first few shows were shot on $199 handy cams and no lighting, as of now we use Canon 7D or similar cameras and the last show we used the new Canon high end video SLR (all is rented on a monthly basis as we try to record 4 shows + in a month), Lighting is minimal due to heat and space, just what you see on camera.

2. Show is recorded in real time, when you see the artist walk up is usually the first time any of us meet them (unless we know them already)....... No rehearsals or sound checks.

3. No audience except the people working on the show and the guests personal assistants or manager, and Daryl's parents & sister. The concept is not to "Preform a show" like you would normally do with an audience....... Just play as if you were working out songs for an album or a show in a jam situation.

4. Cost of the show has varied from 10k - 100k+, the guest is covered for travel expenses and we arrange transportation. The band & crew are paid (obviously). We also cover for the food segment expenses as they have to feed 20+ people. Rights & Clearances & legal are a major expense, so set prices, some normal, some are jacked up.

5. Edited in final cut pro.

6. Audio Recorded to Alesis HDR24XR recorders with great audio gear (ive logged much of it at http://www.GearSlutz.com). Mixed using Protools HDX & a SSL AWS900 console.

7. This is Daryls house he lives in, so all gear is set up the day before and torn down right after filming (usually around 6pm) we start filming usually at about 1pm. We leave some of the gear on site in a extra room in his house till next filming.

8. Im not 100% sure but i think the cameras we used before now were Sony XD Cams?

Glad to hear that some of you are enjoying the show, much more to come as we are gonna start filming again soon after a needed break. Expect changes in production as we love to try new stuff which is great when you are renting the video stuff. Lots of top notch amazing artists planned too. Im hoping the food will also continue getting better & better, its our carrot on the stick at the end of a day.
Thanks for the support as we are a grass roots born show and try to keep it commercial free on the web. The web is where we started and will continue as well as with TV which has expanded our viewership.
All The Best,
~ Peter Moshay

Return to posts index

Alex Stanton
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:00:55 pm

The show is amazing. Thanks for chiming in and congrats on producing such a great product. Love every episode and look forward to it getting even better!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 16, 2013 at 3:57:37 pm

@Peter - thanks for the inside scoop.
@Debra Kaufman - this would make for a great magazine article
(and maybe one on This Old House too)

Check out the Live from Abbey Road series - clips on youtube - they do some interesting things on that show shooting bands with many cameras

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]