BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Building Stock Footage Library

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken FisherBuilding Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:59:50 pm

Hello All:

I'm contemplating getting involved with a small regional online newspaper type website who has recently become involved in video with a daily ten minute morning program. I can see all sorts of improvement with their current production particularly with building up some stock footage instead of looking at talking heads.

But the question is what can I film and use?

For instance, let's say there's a story on the local WalMart hiring. A short five second pan of the store would be helpful from the outside (public domain, right?) but how does one go about getting footage indoors? Is this a large red tape type situation in obtaining permission? What about all the people that would be in the footage?

Thanks

Sony Vegas Pro 11
DVD Architect Pro 5.2
Sony Vaio Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core TM i7-2670QM CPU 2.20Ghz
8 G RAM

Sony DCR-VX2100
Sony HXR-NX70U

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:12:44 am

I'm not sure how things work in America, but in England the supermarkets make filming inside a drawn out process unless you are working for them...

Return to posts index

Ken FisherRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:10:35 am

I suppose I could always take along a small pocket camera? Bad idea, I know. I also wondered how clips like this can be possible. Particularly shots with many people.

http://www.fotosearch.com/video-footage/people-store.html

How do news organizations do it? Sorry for such a newbie question...but.

--------------------------------------

Sony Vegas Pro 11
DVD Architect Pro 5.2
Sony Vaio Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core TM i7-2670QM CPU 2.20Ghz
8 G RAM

Sony DCR-VX2100
Sony HXR-NX70U

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:42:30 pm

Here in the U.S., they shoot out in front of the store, sometimes interviewing people coming and going. You rarely see news footage shot inside the store, unless of course it's a positive story...

And even with shooting in front of the store, management sometimes chases the crew out of the parking lot, or harasses them enough so that they can't get a clean shot.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:53:01 pm

Many places these days have their own canned footage they give out on request, by itself or as part of a VNR (Video News Release), a news story they've edited themselves, to get their side of a story told. You *might* be able to re-use footage from that kind of release, though they may complain if it's not used in a favorable way.

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:07:40 pm

Well, since its news, you can shoot just about anything and not worry (too much) about permission, BUT shooting indoors they can turn you away. I would tell them exactly what you plan to shoot and when and for what purpose and be very nice about it. They have every right to say no, but if it looks like it will be a positive issue or a win for them, they may say yes. For example, if you're doing a story on unfair work practices at Walmart, they'll likely say no so shoot what you can when you can and get in and out quickly. If it's that Walmart is making new jobs, they'll likely say yes.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:29:09 pm

"since its news, you can shoot just about anything and not worry (too much) about permission"

I don't think so...You're on private property, and you ARE NOT a news organization. You need to ask for permission to shoot there. You may want to contact the PR department of the place you're looking to shoot. Often they have B-roll footage they offer news programs.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:16:25 pm

"Shop smart - shop S-Mart"

Stores and malls are technically private property in the US.

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: Building Stock Footage Library
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:58:52 pm

Also, the supplied links look to have been filmed inside an independent shopping mart, not wal-mart or asda or tesco or any of the worlds largest retailers. They have every right to tell a private firm to leave if they are filming without consent-as you would if someone turfed up and started shooting b-roll in your garden.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]