BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

New client pricing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CorbittNew client pricing
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:17:41 pm

I would like to get some ball park estimates on what I should charge for work like this:

I have an hourly rate and I live in the Orlando area and usually do animation work in AE so this is a bit new to me to price out. I really want to have something to compare my hourly rate to other's in the industry to know if I am being competitive, too high or too low (bad for staying in business right?)

Thanks for any and all help.

John Corbitt
451 Tulip Trail, Casselberry, FL 32707
Cell: 727-417-1859

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: New client pricing
by on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:35:32 am

You should actually call up nearby competitors and ask for their rate card. Or have a friend do it. Nobody who is not in your market can really tell you the "perfect" rate for your specific situation.It would only be an educated guess, and hey might not know all the variables. Guessing too high or too low are equally bad or business.

You have to make your best calculations on expenses and all that, get a figure, then you "benchmark" it. That is, match it up against what others similar to you charge for similar work. Conventional wisdom says if your rate is in the middle to upper third of local prices, you're in a good competitive range.

The example you cited is competent but not really anything cutting-edge or overly complex. A lot of it could have been done with templated AE files and stock footage. If you were to make a sexier one, from scratch-built elements, with more layers, more going on, at the same hourly rate as the guy making that example, you can show a competitive quality difference, even if you do charge a little more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved