BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Have a look at this link

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan AsselinHave a look at this link
by on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:12:53 pm

Does this help or hurt?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Have a look at this link
by on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:18:52 pm

Helps a customer, maybe, but drives prices down for the video makers while making them work "on spec".

I would be all right with it if every participant gets a little bit of money for making a proposal, but if it is "winner-takes-all" style, that's not great at all for the video producers. You're giving away free creative ideas and committing resources and time with no sure pay-off, and you have to under-bid everyone else too.

Big ad agencies often do pay for specs in small competitions between a limited number of entrants. And they have rules for not stealing ideas that were pitched but not paid for.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Have a look at this link
by on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:24:26 pm

Yeah, what Mark said.

I don't think it's anything that we as producers would ever use here. I could be wrong, but I don't think the kinds of clients that would use that service are the kinds that are most sought-after here.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Have a look at this link
by on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:58:08 pm

Am I missing something or did this website 1) not have audio, and 2) have only nice animation with no actual "video?" Odd way to sell video.

And yes, as usual, Mark is right on the money. This appears to be a very one-sided business model which strongly favors the clients over those of us who actually do the work. (IMHO.)

Return to posts index

Roger Van DuynRe: Have a look at this link
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:29:01 pm

I think the kind of clients that would use a service like that are already using CraigsList.

There's a big difference between a thrifty (but fair minded) client and a grinder. With experience, I've been learning to distinguish the two types earlier, while they are still only prospects, not clients.

It's better to just pass on an offer from a prospect than needing to "fire a client" later.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Have a look at this link
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:40:53 am

It's like service magic, but for video! Thank you for the link. I'll be sure to send anybody I don't want to work with there.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Have a look at this link
by on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:38:33 pm

Confusing website and unusual business model.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved