BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

The "F bomb" after the SuperBowl

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
The "F bomb" after the SuperBowl
on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:13:27 pm

I find it hard to believe that winning quarterback and MVP Joe Flacco is being criticized for being caught on audio sayings to a teammate, "We won the F***ing SuperBowl!" (Only, like Ralphie in A Christmas Story didn't say "fudge," he didn't have the asterisks.)

First, the NFL is an organization that, with the possible exception of a few medical personnel, appears to be essentially 100 percent male. Some men talk to other men using four letter words. Many say things in private that they would never say around people they don't know. So big F***ing deal. It's also highly unlikely that Flacco had given any thought to the fact that CBS was using live mics around their post-game conversations. These guys are constantly being boomed by NFL Films, only that's not live, so it's likely they are de-sensitized to seeing microphones. Probably more likely that Flacco never even saw the mic. Rant off. Oh, and did I mention that the Ravens won the SuperBowl?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: The "F bomb" after the SuperBowl
on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:25:18 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Some men talk to other men using four letter words. "

The only people who drop the F bomb more than me are my wife and Kylee Wall. LOL And I drop it a LOT. The times, they are a'changing Nick. LOL

Not that I think that people should be flinging it all over prime time or anything, but I confess I didn't do more than chuckle a little. I liked Joe's exuberance.

Got some thoughts on commercials coming up, but there are my priorities at a glance: taking a break from a thundering deadline to lend my hearty endorsement to the F word on TV, saving something on topic for much, much later....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:43:47 pm

There is an audio delay with a big red dump button, and a standards and practices person for a reason. Censor failure.

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:43:38 am

Who fcuking cares?
I sometimes wonder at americans. On one hand so crazy and open minded, then on the other so anally retentive. At least there wasn't any bare nipples this year.

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 5, 2013 at 1:50:34 pm

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/BroadcastProducts/BD600.aspx

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:48:07 pm

AirCleaner

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:47:18 pm

[Bob Zelin] "http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/BroadcastProducts/BD600.aspx"

[Trevor Asquerthian] "AirCleaner"

Or the US as a country and a culture could just grow up and realize that an "F bomb" or a "wardrobe malfunction" is a 'so what' occurrence. Sh*t happens and anyone who doesn't realize that they should have more important things to worry about doesn't have much of a grasp on reality.

Just because the US was originally settled by Puritans doesn't mean 300 years later we have to think the way they did.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:10:14 am

[Nick Griffin] "Or the US as a country and a culture could just grow up and realize that an "F bomb" or a "wardrobe malfunction" is a 'so what' occurrence. Sh*t happens and anyone who doesn't realize that they should have more important things to worry about doesn't have much of a grasp on reality.

Just because the US was originally settled by Puritans doesn't mean 300 years later we have to think the way they did."

Well, in mild defense of the standard (and it's mild because I largely agree with the pervailing attitude...)

It wasn't that many years ago I was trying to explain to my young son why some words were inappropriate to sprinkle into public conversations. It's a LOT harder to deliver the message that one needs to develop language that doesn't RELY on swearing, if the kid isn't confronted with a world where F-bombs are the cultures default modifier.

Plus, if those "special" words become TOO commonly used, then I've got to figure out NEW ones that *I* can use when I want to truly PUNCH UP my ire or exuberance in a conversation!

So I guess I'm as OK with sequestering some language in public use - as I am with defending someones personal right to pull out the F-bomb when they think it's called for.

It's like fast driving, to me. It's not inherently bad. But if everyone does it ALL the time, then it changes the very nature of public driving.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:37:21 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Just because the US was originally settled by Puritans doesn't mean 300 years later we have to think the way they did."

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

–John Adams

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:14:12 am

I will guarantee you that the Founding Fathers and the biblical ancestors they studied, knew and used many of these same words, or their historical analogues, but they were self-regulating as to how often they were uttered in the company of impressionable children or women. There is nothing wrong with a baseline level of civility, just to be sociable, and those things tend to find their own level in every generation and epoch.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:32:19 am

[Mark Suszko] " the Founding Fathers and the biblical ancestors"

Not to go too far down this road, but, feeling a need to clarify a misapprehension that was already taking hold, the Senate voted unanimously, and President Adams signed into law in 1797 a proclamation that included the observation, "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

That said,

[Mark Suszko] "There is nothing wrong with a baseline level of civility"

Quite so. :-)

I save my incivility for my Twitter feed and my posts in the Film History & Appreciation forum. LOL

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:47:39 am

You know, there's an expression in some biblical passages that is translated as "he slapped his thigh".
This was a polite re-write of a practice that ancient people had of swearing oaths on the thing most precious to them: their heirs. "Slapping the thigh" is, however, I agree, more poetic than grabbing your (deleted) and vowing to lose them if you're not telling he truth.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:22:16 am

[Tim Wilson] "The only people who drop the F bomb more than me are my wife and Kylee Wall."

Me? Nooo.

Each F bomb I deploy is precious to me. I am a great lover of language, and I enjoy the musicality of prose and conversation. I think people who get freaked out by swearing in prime time should be more concerned as to why their children are so impressionable than by a couple of F bombs from a football player who just won the biggest game of his life. Teach kids to love language, and they'll use curse words as thoughtfully as I swear (ha) I do. Er, usually do. Mostly.

Assuming protection of children is the goal, anyway.

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 8, 2013 at 7:55:54 am

Quote: Teach kids to love language, and they'll use curse words as thoughtfully as I swear (ha) I do. Er, usually do. Mostly.

Well, except for that few month stretch in elementary/middle school when their peer group discovers RAP.

Nothing more disconcerting than a bedroom full of middle class kids trying to beatbox against a rhyming litany of terms like "ho's" and "bitc*es" -

I believe that week was more complicated then the one with the tech talk about babies - largly because the
Rap lyrics talk wasn't confined to just me and just my kid - but a whole damn neighborhood posse.

Parenting. There ought to be medals (or at LEAST cirtificates of achievement) involved...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Feb 8, 2013 at 6:52:06 pm

I think Bill exhibits a lot of common sense and has, as have a couple of others, made the point that this discussion can be more about our kids' development than our own freedom of speech.

I have two daughters, one a freshman in college and the other a senior in high school. While I believe that they are technically old enough to be exposed to HBO's The Wire (widely regarded as one of, if not the best TV series ever created), I have deliberately been keeping them from it. Not for the "F bombs," but for the ghetto realism of it's all too casual use of the "N word" and most of all its reflection of a society with so little respect for so many of its citizens. I simply don't want my kids,at a highly impressionable age, exposed to such a harsh and brutal view of the world. These sentiments are all that's undesirable about rap music's lyrics magnified many, many, many times. For me an accidental "F bomb" borders on meaningless in comparison.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]