BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

What would you quote?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin SheehanWhat would you quote?
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:23:41 pm

What you quote (production, post-production) for three videos that are three minutes each. Each video would have two different people interviewed and b-roll overlaid. Including gas, food, a videographer, crew member, time spent video shooting, time spent editing, I'm thinking $1200 each. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: What would you quote?
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:17:57 pm

As has been said here many times, pricing is based on a large number of variables, not the least of which is getting the job and then having them want to come back for more.

Not knowing your skill level/experience and equipment it's very difficult to say whether or not that's a good price. If all 3 can be shot in the same day, it may be. If it's 3 separate days, probably not. But that's just me and I think I'm somewhere around the middle of the range based on the aforesaid skills and equipment.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: What would you quote?
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 8:55:10 pm

Your quote comes from Ernie Kovacks:

“Television: A medium. So called because it's neither rare nor well done.”

More to the point:

To get a great finished three minutes might involve a whole day of shooting. Editing could be anything from an hour total to six hours or more. We know nothing of the people or subject matter you're talking about, or the locations and shooting conditions or budget, so it is hard to estimate.

Figure your hourly and day rate first. Work thru the program in a summary form, look out for expenses like jib shots, green screen, language dubbing, etc. ...anything that is going to add more cost. Next, figure how long each shoot and each edit might take. Bump it ten percent more as a hedge. Now add gas, food, and staff. Multiply times your rate and add a markup for profit. Now you are somewhere in the ballpark, assuming nothing goes badly wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved