BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Transferring big files

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Transferring big files
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:53:06 pm

Thought I'd put out a shout to see how you guys transfer big files to clients when needed?

We usually just put them on our own server here in our building and give clients a link for download, which works like a charm. However in this case we have numerous files that are pretty big (well over a gig each) that need to get cross country and I don't have enough spare drive space on our modest-sized server to put them on it here.

We've used DropBox in the past at some clients' requests... but for files over 300MB you don't really send the files to DropBox, it's more just a file-sharing type thing where the receiver is actually suckin it right out of a shared folder on your own computer... and we're not able/going to do that for a number of reasons.

I think we've also used YouSendIt in the past, but I can't recall it being a pleasant experience.

So... what do you guys so?

My first suggestion was and remains just sticking the files on thumbdrives and popping them in FedEx... which frankly sounds a whole lot easier, more reliable, and less time consiming to me.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
Re: Transferring big files
on Jan 10, 2013 at 8:54:06 pm

Hi Todd,

Have you considered using Google Drive or paying Dropbox for larger / business type access?

There are probably some additional resources you could utilize as well, such as a hosting company for file storage, or something similar.

Let us know.

If you'd like to connect with me to discuss this offline, feel free to contact me through The Cow and we can hook up!

I have some more resources you can utilize if you'd like to get some File Storage for purposes servicing those needs you have to address.

Matt Geier
(Video Networking Solutions Expert)
(Creative Design Workflow Consultant)
(Social Media Networks Consultant)
(Technical Video Industry Sales Consultant)

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:15:44 pm

Well actually we DO have a paid business DropBox account, but with 300+MB files it doesn't actually transfer the files TO DropBox, just shares them in a folder own your own computer (you have to install and use the DropBox software and create a shared folder on your computer, you can't send the files via their web interface). Same with Google Drive, I think (although I only used it once in the past). We don't want to do that.

Maybe there is a more advanced (i.e. expensive) DropBox plan that actually transfers the files to them, but I haven't investigated it.

I don't really want to put a lot of time nor energy (and certainly not money) in solving this issue because it's really the client's issue, not ours (we gave them what they paid for, this was more of a "Oh, by the way, can you also..." thing)... and we've already bent over backwards for them and given them far more than they've paid for.

I'd say 99% of the time we can just throw files on our own server and it's a non-issue... this is a one-time thing for a one-time client... and I'm now remembering what I didn't like about YouSendIt, used it once years ago and they screwed me with an unauthorized "recurring" subscription charge that we didn't even notice for a couple of years.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:53:49 pm

I find YouSendIt to be fairly easy to use, though that's through our studio's paid account. You can upload/send many files at once (shift-click selections), or of course use the zipped folder approach.

The best free alternative that I've found when I send personal stuff is DropSend. Accepts files up to 2GB (unlike YouSendIt's free-version limit of 50 MB.) But the free bit is limited to 5 sends/month.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:53:31 pm

Hi Todd, I use MediaFire Pro only when I have to. You can move files up to 2GB i think, and you can only pay for a month. If I have many large files then need to go to a client, I'll upgrade my regular account for $10 move the files and then downgrade after the fact. The drawback is that your client will also have to have a media fire acct. which can get complicated. That is why I only use it if I have to.

I just uploaded some files 1.5Gb files to a clients shared google drive folder and that seemed to work very well.

Best cast is they purchase space and FTP the files to their host

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:08:52 pm

Well my GM tells me he was just able to get the files to go with a YouSendIt account that was fairly cheap and got the job done.

I told him to just make sure he cancelled the account soon... they're the ones who took us for a few hundred bucks in years past by sneaking through a recurring subscription on an account that we didn't authorize nor even remember that we still had. The amount was small enough that our beancounter didn't even notice it, until we'd been stuck wtih two years' worth of charges.

As I said, usually just dragging the files on our own server is a flawless and painfully easy way to go. But our drive capacity is a bit limited (we need an upgrade) and all these gigantic files would have stuffed it to the max and more. Hopefully we won't need this again for quite a while.

Thanks all....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:28:41 pm

Hi Todd,

We just encountered a similar situation, but our issue was that when the file was hosted on our file server, concurrent downloads (concurrent uploads for us) became frustratingly slow.

We're using filesanywhere which operates similar to the other services, but has no file size limit (like the 2GB mentioned above) when you transfer via FTP. Similar pricing per GB, but we often will have one or two files that are larger than 2GB. And plenty of options in terms of tracking downloads, prefacing downloads with agreements, etc.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:32:39 pm

I normally just use DropBox and cut my files into 275 mb chunks using an split-reassemble program. Works great.....inexpensive....slightly more time-consuming but not much.

Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 10, 2013 at 11:12:52 pm

[Dan Asselin] "...cut my files into 275 mb chunks..."

Unfortunately dealing with a totally non-tech-savvy recipient on the other end who would be absolutely clueless about how to reassemble pieces, nor understand why I can't just hand them what they need... which seems to be the case about 95% of the time."

"What's wrong? I can't seem to get a picture."

"Well, ma'am, that's because that's a toaster oven. Try tapping on it."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:12:07 am

I'm sorry that you're having problems with YouSendIt. That said, I really don't know where we'd be without it. Best part of it is the desktop app and services in mountain lion. You just right click on a file and 'send by yousendit' and it's out the door. To get files we have the yousendit dropbox link we send to clients and they can send us stuff if they don't have their own account. This works for pretty much all our network clients.

Oh, and the custom business logo options are pretty fantastic. Client gets an email from us and there's our big fat logo. I also set up a google apps account so that everybody in the office gets the same email if we receive a file from YSI.

Not trying to resell you on it - just letting you know how we use it.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:20:27 am

Actually Todd I was worried about that too. However I use a program called "HJ-Split" from Download.com. I also created a 2 line explanation on a file in Outlook that I can paste into any e-mail I send.

In the few times clients have asked for assistance I can generally get them to a stisfactory resolution in less than 30 seconds.

But i understand your concern because in our business PHD stands for "Push Here Dummy".

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:22:24 pm

We use yousendit. Seems to be working pretty well so far. Like the desktop app and the tracking you can do to see if someone has downloaded the file.

The iphone app is pretty frustrating (should allow tracking etc), but all in all its good.

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:03:06 pm

HI Todd,
try http://www.wetransfer.com. Its free, has quick up/download times, and without a subscription you can transfer files up to 2 gigs.

A picture is only as good as the glass it comes through. And the person using the camera has something to do with it too.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 11, 2013 at 8:29:15 pm

Thanks for your help, all...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:26:38 pm

[Todd Terry] "We've used DropBox in the past at some clients' requests... but for files over 300MB you don't really send the files to DropBox, it's more just a file-sharing type thing where the receiver is actually suckin it right out of a shared folder on your own computer... and we're not able/going to do that for a number of reasons."

Todd, I don't think this is true.

If you have the Dropbox desktop software installed, any time move a file into your local Dropbox folder, it begins an upload to Dropbox in the background (you can verify by looking at the Dropbox status menu item or watching your network traffic in Activity Monitor).

When you send a link to this file, it links to the copy stored on Dropbox's cloud storage, not your computer. Anyone downloading from this link is not pulling it from your computer at all. (You can verify this by turning off the computer the file originated on and downloading from another computer.)

The 300MB limit applies to the web uploader only; it does not apply to the desktop software.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 14, 2013 at 11:51:13 pm

Last time (a long time ago) I used drop box you had to install their software to download file which I think stinks. I hope that has changed. I like YouSendIt. No adds and all the client needs to do is click on the link.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:04:06 am

[Stephen Smith] "Last time (a long time ago) I used drop box you had to install their software to download file which I think stinks. I hope that has changed. I like YouSendIt. No adds and all the client needs to do is click on the link."

You can send links for sharing from the dropbox.com web interface, or via context menu items added to Finder/Explorer. If you place a file in your Public dropbox folder, you can copy the web link directly from Finder/Explorer via context menu.

You only need the desktop software if you wish to share a whole folder, back and forth, directly onto someone else's filesystem.

It's actually a really cool system. I've got the Dropbox app on my phone, too, so I can send anything on my Dropbox to anyone, anytime.

If I recall correctly, Todd's a Premiere Pro user. If you're on Creative Cloud, that should be another viable option for file sharing, though I haven't gotten around to trying it yet myself.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05:23 am

Walter,
That sounds cool.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:41:01 am

I also use wetransfer.com. The only downside is that it requires flash.

Jeremy Doyle
http://www.jeremydoyle.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:22:04 pm

[Walter Soyka] "If I recall correctly, Todd's a Premiere Pro user. If you're on Creative Cloud, that should be another viable option for file sharing, though I haven't gotten around to trying it yet myself."

I am indeed, Walter, CS6 in the suites here. I didn't even think of Creative Cloud... also one of those things I haven't gotten around to trying myself. I didn't even remember it existed.

I'll keep that in mind for next time. This time we used YouSendIt, which worked fine for transferring the file. BUT I warned my partner who was doing it to make SURE he changed it back from a paid to a free account as soon as he was done, to make sure we didn't get stuck with a bunch of bogus charges from them like we did before. Of course, when he tried to change the account type from paid to free, the website interface wouldn't let him, something like "We apologize but that operation cannot be completed now. Please try again later."

As they say, "That's how they get ya."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:02:52 am

I've been using YouSendit ever since a client recommended it. I upgraded to the paid service and knew that it would automatically renew every year unless I stopped it. No complaints here.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]