BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned MillerWhat's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 3:04:20 am

Happy New Year! So, the resolution I really plan to keep is to ramp up my producing revenue in '13. Besides DP work, which I have enough of, I am looking to increase the producing side of my business, mainly corporate, preferably Fortune 500s in the $5-50K range, trying to avoid the typical website videos for small companies and entrepreneurs. I have a marketing plan but it's the same old, same old:

• Tickle current, old and dormant clients.
• Send out my brochures directed at execs known to need video like: Marketing, PR, Corp Comm, Sales, etc. Although an old school technique they have been very successful but it's $1.50 each, so I can't flood the area. Maybe send 250-400 out. They really work, it's just a matter of luck if they reach the right person at the right time.
• Leverage my LinkedIn contacts: say hello, etc. Rekindling LI relationships has always worked well. Become more active in my LinkedIn groups.
• Update online directory listings.
• Attend networking meetings where execs needing video hang, such as marketing, PR, web design, etc. I no longer waste my time doing the Chamber of Commerce thing.
• Cut new sample reels and freshen up my websites, all are at least four years since fresh.
• Call in favors: I pass a lot of work around so there are folks who may be able to pay back the favor with leads.

I already have high SEO but I find the prospects that come in through searches are tire kickers or too cheap, etc. although I can't complain about the ones that do come through. I am not into the time suck of social media (hate Facebook) and I won't do blatant spam.

So, is anyone doing something I haven't thought of? Love to hear fresh ideas.

Thanks,

Ned

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 4, 2013 at 12:07:52 am

I'm going to spend every spare waking minute of the next month putting together specific examples of what we can do to help the business of 3 clients I want to work for. I'm then going to spend 11 months hassling them until I get some work from them.

In 12 months time I'm hopefully going to have done 1 large project for 1 of them, and 1 small project for another.

Other than that, twitter, linkedin, facebook, youtube.....yawn!

Return to posts index

Andy jacksonRe: What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 4, 2013 at 2:33:45 pm

Hi Ned.

Read my dilema before you even think of carrying on in this shark infested business.

Just my 2 cents worth.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/17/876369

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 4, 2013 at 6:08:39 pm

Andy, if you've moved on to another firm and left the video production industry, can you send me the name of your head of communications so I can send them a showreel?

Return to posts index

Scott SheriffRe: What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:22:26 pm

[Andy jackson] "Read my dilema before you even think of carrying on in this shark infested business.

Just my 2 cents worth.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/17/876369"

LOL, the thread about the 800# gorilla in the room. The thread that will not die.
Or since we are all geeks, instead of the 800# gorilla, lets say that some are trying to warn of the Vogon Constructor Fleet, while others just want to talk about this afternoons match, the weather, their digital watch or anything but the Vogons.

The only thing I disagree with is your analogy of "shark infested business." While there are a few sharks, they are easily avoided and not the difficult to deal with. A better analogy might be a business that is being consumed by a school of Piranha. In the end, the only thing left will be a few bones. There won't even be any Piranha left.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:40:12 am

I hired my first Director of Corporate Development and Marketing to kick off 2013. I was VERY lucky to have precisely the right person I've wanted for my company become available. That's the biggest key when it comes to someone like that, you MUST find the right person.

Other than that, networking events are always great, User Groups like our Atlanta Cutters and Georgia Production Partnership are good to keep your name in front of people. Definitely revive dormant / older contacts and say hello.

Use a service like Mail Chimp (it's free!) to send out a professional looking newsletter at least quarterly to all your mail contacts. At least keep your name in front of everyone and using a service like this lets you track who opened it to see if your message is being received.

Beyond all of that, I'm developing my own original content both for interactive and traditional media. Basically remove the client from the equation when possible.

Best of luck to you in 2013!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: What's everyone doing to find new biz in 2013? This old dog needs some new tricks...
by on Jan 27, 2013 at 5:27:30 pm

[walter biscardi] "Beyond all of that, I'm developing my own original content both for interactive and traditional media. Basically remove the client from the equation when possible."

IMHO that's the way forward and is certainly the direction we are heading in.

Steve Connor
'It's just my opinion, with an occasional fact thrown in for good measure"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]