BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Another concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dimitrios PapagiannisAnother concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 5:39:20 am

Not that you will get rich doing it but I wondered if anybody else is making trailers for plays. I have done a couple and found the work to be extremely rewarding. Here is an example:

https://vimeo.com/54990164

Also of course any ideas or suggestions on improving the product are most welcome.

Thanks,

Dimitrios Papagiannis

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Another concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:38:06 pm

Very nice work! I agree that it's unlikely to make much money, given that most smaller playhouses are poor.might be a fun way to build a portfolio and find good actors, which might lead to some work for their portfolios.

I recently did one as well. Very different approach though. It was needed in a couple of days.
https://vimeo.com/51802271

Al

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Another concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 4:03:06 pm

Agreed... very nice work, Dimitrios...

I've done quite a few of these through the years, and yes they are fun.

I've produced/directed them for several theatre companies in town, Shakespeare in the park, etc.

I've never made a dime off of them though... as a former wannabe actor some of the ones I did were for plays I was in myself, others were for ones that friends were in. I always made the offer that if they would arrange for the TV stations to give them the PSA time, I'd produce them for free. I did learn that lesson to make sure that the theatre organization (or whomever) already had a relationship or at least a verbal agreement with a broadcaster to air it... you don't want to put a lot of work into something that never sees the light of day.

As I said, no money from these... but goodwill. And three of the freebie theatre commercials we did won Gold ADDY awards (one of them won Best in Show which encompasses all types of media, not just TV), so there's that. You never know what kind of additional business that might bring.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Another concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 4:43:03 pm

One of the best things you can do for yourself as a Producer, I think, is dabble in any way you can with your local theatre community. The contacts made there will help you in business, with casting for future projects, as well as having contacts with set building, decorating, costume and make-up skills. And theatre people are just fun to hang with.

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Another concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 6:12:27 pm

[Mark Suszko] "And theatre people are just fun to hang with."

Well, yes and no. As a former theatre actor who has trodden the boards myself for countless hours I'll agree with Mark that theatre people are fun to hang out with. They can also be some of the most horrible people you'll ever meet. Often simultaneously.

I really haven't had a tremendous amount of luck using area theatre actors as a talent pool (some, but not tons). Stage acting and film acting are such vastly different animals that it's pretty rare to find an actor who is really great at both. The Anthony Hopkinses (is that the correct plural?) don't come along very often. But every now and then you'll find some that are worth the effort.

I've had better luck with all of the various tech and craft people. Sometimes it takes some guidance to educate a set designer or a TD that what they build for stage doesn't quite work on screen. The same for costumes. And VERY much so for makeup. But these folks can be a great resource. We've hired lots of them.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Another concept in the ongoing search for new business opportunities.
by on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:20:53 pm

It may well be different in different places. But I've had great luck here with local talent, when I can afford to hire them. They often circulate between stage work and 2-bit local TV commercials here. They are great at improv and really are doing it more for love than money, God knows I don't usually pay them enough.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:53:24 pm

You're lucky there Mark. Seems in this part of the country that 95% of the time even really good stage actors don't know how to "tone it down" for the screen.

I will occasionally refreshingly find an actor who will ask for help with an eyeline, or ask what focal length my lens is... when that happens, I know I've got someone who knows what they are doing... knowing that a performance with a 50mm needs to be tweaked ever-so-slightly for an 80mm. It's pretty darn rare, though.

Still, it's usually better than the average Joe-on-the-street, or God forbid, a client's neice/brother/uncle. I've had sooo many conversations with clients about why we prefer to use good and professional actors and pay them very well. Clients often have a hard time seeing how that saves them money in the long run, but after take 52 with cousin Ernie forgetting a line or missing a mark they sometimes catch on. Sometimes.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]