BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Video Job Salaries

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Carraway
Video Job Salaries
on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:57:51 pm

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=4121683&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_prem...

Someone sent me the job posting above this morning. I've been working in a university environment for about 15 years now. I like to think I have skills, but don't have real-world (read: outside a somewhat cozy university environment) experience. No idea what the salary range is for positions like this or the other related posts linked at the bottom of that page.

So, how would you settle on what salary to request if no salary range is posted for something like this? I realize there's a lot of factors. It just seems too open ended for them not to give you an idea of what they had in mind.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Doug

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Video Job Salaries
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:22:01 pm

This is a six-figure job for certain: Producer, Director, Head Editor, Multimedia Producer and Author, Executive management of staff and budget, and high-profile National-level public corporate production work. Pllus a lot of internal not so glamorous training film type stuff.

Exactly *which* six figures is up for debate. But to do all that work, probably with a lot of overtime, AND afford to live close by in New York proper, one of the boroughs, or near Jersey... Not figuring any family costs.... Somewhere between 150K and 200K for a seriously qualified applicant that won't embarrass you, would be my guess.

My other guess though is that they want that level of candidate for high five figures. A young single person could swing that, but would burn out and leave after a relatively short while, taking all that they had learned with them. You want a good person plus one that will stick for ten years or better, a rock upon which to build your video temple, you gotta pay more. There's a glut of highly qualified people, but this being New York, it's incredibly expensive to live there AND build a nest egg.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:31:18 pm

Um, Doug... you know the part about Google tracking your comments when you post here? Maybe now the COW should add a warning about posting specific job listings if you are interested in them for yourself.

Return to posts index

Doug Carraway
on Dec 7, 2012 at 1:59:40 pm

I'm not applying for this one. Just looking around and looking for some general thoughts about what jobs are out there and what they're worth.

I figured this one was a big one. Thanks for the thoughts.

Doug

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 7, 2012 at 8:29:14 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Somewhere between 150K and 200K for a seriously qualified applicant that won't embarrass you, would be my guess."

I agree with Mark on this. But... these days ... who knows? You can never tell where the real expectation and reality will meet, and it seems to rarely be on the side of generosity. You also have to determine if the person or committee writing the job description knows what they're asking or if this is just their overly-broad wish list.

Situations like this are where your sales ability comes in. You have to get the potential employer to reveal what they're honestly expecting and offering before they watch you paint yourself into a corner with a lowball ask.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 8, 2012 at 6:05:39 pm

[Nick Griffin] "I agree with Mark on this. But... these days ... who knows? "

Right. When I read a do-it-all description like this one, I tend to think it's a relatively low-paid job. They shouldn't expect anyone with all of these qualifications to do everything they've listed - he or she would be too highly qualified!

What's this? "Excellent command of lighting techniques and technologies, including color correction and music/sound design techniques"

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 8, 2012 at 7:05:18 pm

Funny part to me is, that ad is pretty much my current job description. But I don't plan to move East any time soon:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]