BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Ay ideas how this is done?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BallAy ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 9:08:21 pm

My client is looking for something similar to this. How is this done? Is the hand real, or is it a still image?

How can I accomplish this using a graphic artist? Thanks very much.

Here's the link:

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Ay ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 10:02:03 pm

Based on looking at this one, this is my guess:

These are individual drawings, shot in time-lapse or realtime and then sped-up. Each of the drawings is a keyed image, and they are all parented to an invisible "null" object (assuming this was done in AfterEffects. A virtual camera tracks the null object, so all the individual images stay locked together in relative positions as the virtual camera is flown around.

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Ay ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 10:13:21 pm

Really? You mean somebody drew them on camera? Because some of the graphics look too good to be hand drawn. I thought there would be an easier way of doing this. I thought that perhaps someone had hand drawn the images in advance and they were just animated on, and the hand was not real.

So in order to do this I would need an artist to draw this in real about 15 images in real time and high speed it or shot it in time lapse?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:23:22 am

Each one was drawn separately, taking as much time as the guy needed, based on listening to the track and illustrating the idea. You can draw them on camera and speed up the playback... or you can wait until its all done, then animate the hand revealing the drawing, and that also works because of the blur from the speed. Either way, the reveal is adjusted to the timing of the audio clips. Using either method, shooting the process or reverse-revealing the drawing, it is easy to hide a mistake made by the artist.

My point is that each section was worked on separately. There is no literal giant white wall where they have all been drawn in relation to each other. one at a time. Its a virtual wall, more like a refrigerator door, and each drawing is stuck on it with magnets. You do that by "parenting" each drawing to the same anchoring invisible "null object". Then the virtual camera can seem to track across each drawing in turn as it is animating on.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2012 at 12:26:32 am

The hand seems to show a bit of green screen spill around it, so the hand looks to be keyed in. There are several poses of the hand, but it looks like a reverse-reveal of a finished drawing, where you uncover part of the mask and keyframe the hand overlay to match it.

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Ay ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:02:21 am

Hiring an artist would be good. Your client could get exactly what s/he wants, so long as s/he is willing to pay for it.

Or you could explore the likes of

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:15:00 pm

That's really interesting, how fast someone came up with a way to semi-automate the process. It doesn't look as good as the way RSA does it, then again, it doesn't cost like RSA either.

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Ay ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 3:34:40 pm

Hey Mark. What's RSA?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:01:35 pm

Ridley Scott Associates

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2012 at 8:41:08 pm

I've been checking this thing out. All the elements in it are vector files derived from Adobe Illustrator, so while the library of pre-made elements is kind of thin, you should be able to import your own original art.
Therein lies the trouble: somebody has to make the line art at some point. If your message is very basic, skribol works like a powerpoint slide show with microsoft's clip art. If the illustration has to be more abstract, either you have to find it somewhere and convert it to the vector format, or draw it, there's no getting away from needing an actual artist. I think this makes a good tool to storyboard out a more complex and hand-made version of this kind of illustration-driven spot. But I think overall, it's more for lower-end work where speed and budget are the priorities.

For God's sake, do NOT combine Skribol with Prezi, ask your doctor first!

Return to posts index

Roy SchneiderRe: Ay ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 2:25:36 pm

We did a version very simply shooting the full drawing and speeding up. We purposely wanted the rustic feel.
http://vintageproductiongroup.com/

Many ways to do this and they are all effective, just depends on the final need.
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Ay ideas how this is done?
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:49:45 pm

I'm not going to chime in as to how it's done, I think others have covered that well.

Just an observation... I always think its so interesting how someone's really cool innovative idea suddenly becomes everyone's go-to technique. I thought this was pretty awesome the first time I saw it quite a while back... then it suddenly started coming out of the woodwork. Remember when morphing and "bullet time" were new and cool? This week alone I saw FOUR different videos for wildly different things using the SAME EXACT hand-drawing technique. I'm just praying we don't have a client that sees one and thinks it's cool.

Wonder what the next thing will be... hmmm....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]