BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Job Interview Questions

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy EarlyJob Interview Questions
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:03:45 pm

What questions can a prospective employee ask of you(business owners/hiring managers) that shows the prospect in a good light... which questions should they avoid?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Job Interview Questions
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 5:28:14 pm

I'd want you to already demonstrate some knowledge of who we are and what we do, so questions that demonstrate that you did some homework make an impression. With the advent of the internet, there is really no excuse anymore not to have done some research before you walk in. Asking about certain recent projects that aired could be a good ice breaker, as are questions about where the shop is headed, in terms of hardware and type of customers and types of work they want to do more of. This also creates an opportunity to mention those skills you already have that can be a fit with those goals, to trade war stories on similar topics like long hours or confusing and conflicting client orders. Have a short illustrative story handy in case there's a natural opening to use it.

Bad questions would be those that revolve around salary and benefits and vacation days and the like, right off the bat. There is a better time for those kinds of things, when they make you an offer. Bringing it up before you get an offer is tacky and sometimes a way to get disqualified as having the wrong attitude.

For now, you want to communicate that you are there to bring them something they lack or need, you are a problem-solver, a consultant, even. You are an applicant, not a supplicant: you expect this arrangement to be mutually beneficial.

REALLY bad question: "What's NLE mean?"

Return to posts index

Timothy EarlyRe: Job Interview Questions
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 5:36:28 pm

Excellent! huge help... Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:22:23 pm

Excellent! huge help... Thanks!

Another questions! would it be inappropriate to reach out to the people who were part of the interview process on a professional basis... through socialmedia or at networking type events? regardless of outcome?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:43:35 pm

Be tentative at first: the difference between committed and persistent networker, and being a stalker, is a matter of fine degree, very narrow and subjective. Especially in social media.

"Hi, it's me, Tim again. I know you said you liked my reel the last time we talked... and while you don't have anything for me at your company right now, is there anyone else you know in the community that could use my skills in post right now?" "Can I tell them you suggested me?"

I might try that, once per person, and I'd listen really closely for any cues in the words or manner of the response, before pressing further. The soonest I'd pester that person again would be next business quarter:

"Hey, Tim here, I heard business is picking up. If you have extra projects starting to pile up, I'd love to come in and help you out on a part time or full-time or per-project basis. Here's the contact info, let me know if I can be of some help to you, I'm particularly good at (talent here)."

I'm not as hard-sell as say Zelin is. He'd hit them up probably every other week until they just gave up. and hired him. Me, I don't make a pest of myself; I give folks their space, I make my best pitch, wait a bit, then move on.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2012 at 8:03:20 pm

solid copy on that... thanks again!

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Job Interview Questions
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:17:17 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I'm not as hard-sell as say Zelin is."

I think I can count on one hand the sales people I've run into over the years who are as hard charging as Bob Zelin describes himself as being. I suspect that much of what we hear from Bob is more a reflection of how hard he pushes himself, not the prospects.

But then again I could be wrong and, if I am, it's a near certainty that Mr. Zelin will point it out.

Mark's suggestions are, as always, spot on. I will add that they key to staying in touch is to be non-intrusive and persistent in a friendly way

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:12:12 pm

This month's check is in the mail, Nick:-)

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Job Interview Questions
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:13:48 pm

[Nick Griffin] "I suspect that much of what we hear from Bob is more a reflection of how hard he pushes himself, not the prospects."

It's actually the opposite. He's not annoying in any individual contact, because who wants to work with somebody annoying? He's gracious, warm, humble, witty, one of the most enjoyable guys you'll ever spend time with. A lot of his clients are in the world of GOLF. Annoying doesn't sell. SELLING sells, and when it comes to selling, Bob absolutely is that relentless.

To use his example of needing 8 years to get Disney as a client -- if you think he's exaggerating, you haven't been a one-man band in Orlando trying to get Disney as a client. He didn't ask them just once. He didn't just ask them 8 times. Or just 16 times. Or a couple of times in the beginning and check back later. That's not how you get a job with Disney.

The fact is that we have it easy in this business. We really do. Insurance guys, they push this hard all the time. Realtors, even harder. They literally put their face out there. If Rick Marotta or Wendy Lewis isn't getting it done, you can see their face on that sign, staring back at you for months and months while the property doesn't sell. Those guys don't get to sniff around a couple of times and walk away for a year, or put out a sign and hope for the best.
You come back week after week after week. EVERY week.

Why do you think that Rotary, Chamber of Commerce and all those other guys keep getting together? Some of it is to swap stories and get support, but some of it is because THOSE ARE THEIR PROSPECTS. And they work them every Tuesday for breakfast, and every Wednesday for lunch.

Maybe because I hustled my video business the same way, but I don't think Bob exaggerates at all. If anything, I think he makes it sound easy because he paints such a clear picture of it. Finding new ways of asking the same prospects over and over without being annoying is HARD. But you have to play for keeps, and keep playing, or think of a way to get your resume to the top of the stack with all the 60 year olds wanting $9/hr assistant manager jobs at Petco.

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

by on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:19:33 pm

I see what you did there, Tim. :-)

That's somebody that ran out of persistence, or sold themselves on a negative appraisal of the overall situation.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Job Interview Questions
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:37:25 am

Hey Nick, sorry I misread your post...we're in agreement...

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Job Interview Questions
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:54:38 am

are you the perspective employee ? Are you looking for a job ?

You should have a pre-existing idea of what they might be willing to pay. You find that out by "asking around". Or if you are a newbee, maybe you should not care what they are paying - you just want to get in. It is SO HARD to get in anywhere, that you have to look eager to do anything.

So my advice is to never ask about yourself, and what you are going to get - you want to tell them what they can do for you -
never ask about sick leave, over time, medical benefits, time off, vacation days, etc. etc. "Oh yes masta'
I will work night and day for you, and never ask for any money, I just want to do a great job for you, and work harder than you have ever seen anyone work before" - that's what an employer wants to hear. And thats what they want to hear from me - not how much I will charge them. You already know how cranky I am, but to a new client (or employer) I am the NICEST GUY anyone has ever met in their life. ("wow, I can't believe what a great guy he is, and he works so hard !") - wait till he gets my bill. All clients are a pain in the butt, and you have to learn how to play the game. If you are a valuable employee to the company (or contractor) - you can change the rules, because if they value you - you can do whatever you want. So if you are a VALUABLE EMPLOYEE, and your daughter gets sick, you can just leave and do what you have to do, without consequences. But if you are just another peon, you can't do anything without getting in trouble.

I always try to convince everyone that I deal with professionally that I am the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that I can do anything - even if I can't - and then I scramble to figure out how I am going to do it ! Of course, if I am completely incompetant in something (like lighting, for example), I tell them up front that I know nothing about lighting, and I am not their guy.

Remember - it's not what they can do for you, it's what you can do for them ! They like hearing that, it makes them feel like they can "pull one over on you". All you have to do is get in, then you can manipulate your situation. Just get in.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved