BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Production Insurance

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelli CorscaddenProduction Insurance
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 5:29:33 pm

I work for a production company in Canada and am dealing with a conflict that I need advice on. I borrowed a client's truck to drive to a shoot since my boss and the client were out with my boss's truck. I hit a tree and damaged the vehicle. My boss thinks that I should cover the damages though I feel the production company should since I was driving it for work.
Any shared experiences?

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo JørgensenRe: Production #Insurance
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 8:52:32 am

Hey Kelli,

How much damage did you do to that truck?

If you are a PAYE employee and if you were directed by your boss/employer to borrow that truck in order for you to be able to carry out your work, then the issue of insurance is with your employer.

What is the client saying about the issue?
And did they hand over the keys for you to drive the truck? As in you didn't take it without their permission?

Do keep in mind that your boss is 1) likely to be embarrassed about the damage to a clients vehicle 2) Might be under-insured by not having insurance for third-party vehicles etc.

Cars and Trucks always seems to be the problem in the video and film industry. Often an employer will prefer the "employee" (freelancer/contract worker) to provide their own vehicle, and they'll also like if said employee work long hours, which has in many case had fatal outcomes. Whenever it has come up in the past I've always made sure that my crew was insured to drive the vehicle and that they didn't work themselves into a state where they might fall asleep behind the wheel.

You need to ask your employer as to why he didn't made sure that you were insured to drive that truck?

As a last note: In the future you need yourself to make sure that you have been insured to drive the vehicle before putting the key in the ignition. As in that your boss might be liable, but that won't help you when the Police gets called out to an accident...

All the Best

@madsvid, London, UK
Check out my other hangouts:
Twitter: @madsvid

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Production #Insurance
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:18:27 pm

What coverage does your insurance have? Collision? Comprehensive? Liability?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved