BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

How much should I charge for a concert shoot?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin SheehanHow much should I charge for a concert shoot?
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 3:54:46 pm

The concert will be a total of 3 hours. There will be 5 different videographers, 4 contracted and myself. The videographers will supply their cameras, memory cards, etc. I will supply most of the tripods and will probably rent a slider.

The potential client wants the full concert (3 hours) recorded with multiple angles in the final video.

I don't have to be concerned about sound because the client is hiring another company to do that. I am responsible for the production and post-production of the video. I won't have to deal with publishing it to multiple DVDs (for selling). I imagine it will take 40-50 hours to edit it.

I'm looking to give the client a rough estimate of how much it would cost.

I was thinking around $7000-$8000.
Here's the breakdown. About $2000 total to pay the freelance videographers for 4 hours of work each. The other $5000 is for the editing (50x$100 per hour). The rest would be for equipment rental and transportation. I will be doing most, if not all, the editing.

How does that price sound? Fair, too much, too little?

Return to posts index

Steve ModicaRe: How much should I charge for a concert shoot?
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 2:22:17 pm

Have you built in the indirect costs? What percentage of your studio rent, phone bill, software costs, machine costs, healthcare, vacation time etc are you building into this? Don't forget those overhead items. Your pricing sounds a lot like simple direct costs.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: How much should I charge for a concert shoot?
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 2:22:57 pm

You'll need more then 4 hours of their time.
You need to arrive HOURS ahead of show time for setup.
You need to run an audio feed into a camera too. Are you genlocking the camera for sync? Makes post much better.
How much do you typically pay a guy with cam for a shoot?

I would bill it out like so:

Cam and op
Producer/myself: $1000
Cam/op 2 $650
Cam/op 3 $650
Cam/op 4 $650
Cam/op 5 $650

SD Cards?

Edit $3500

That's $7100, so ya, you're definitely in the ball park.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved