BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

What can we learn from Digital Domain's bankruptcy?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoWhat can we learn from Digital Domain's bankruptcy?
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 4:46:09 pm

One thing that comes to mind is, you can get good rotoscoping done in the Phillipines today for under $200 a day plus a good high speed internet connection. Probably in India and some Eastern European countries too. Even by using free labor from their student workforce, DD could not compete with that.

What's left to do onshore that's got a good profit margin is the high-end CGI creation, where you need the art skills of an MFA-level artist, plus enough coding and software skill you can translate the vision into usable frames, and even there, the world is fast catching up.

My impression is that taking the company public was something they really weren't ready for. Technically, they were riding high with their film-based work and the Tupac "hologram" performance. Clearly, they had technical mastery but were a mess financially. I heard former Miami Dolphins player Dan Marino was a huge stock owner and lost maybe 13 million on paper. Anybody know what Jim Cameron's exposure is on this, or was he free and clear of Digital Domain before the meltdown?

What do you think the industry reaction and local Florida Production Community reactions will be? Florida gave away a LOT of incentive money to get DD to locate there - they are now looking to see if they can get any of that money back. Somehow I don't think they will take 30 palletloads of HP workstations in trade.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: What can we learn from Digital Domain's bankruptcy?
by on Sep 24, 2012 at 2:44:52 am

I suspect Cameron is free and clear thanks to things like True Lies, Titanic and that one with all the fighting robot thingies.

Lucasfilm opened their animation studio is Singapore - so much for American Grafitti. I've read some articles about how a 3D conversion is about 1/4 the cost and twice as fast in India vs Santa Monica.

Yep, even the creative industry is leaving our shores.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved