BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Been a while

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron CadieuxBeen a while
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 1:34:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted something like this. The last time I posted about something like this, I was still in my old position with my old employer (where I was very unhappy). I've since been working in a new job as the Multimedia Coordinator for a very large automobile dealer. I do all of their TV, radio, and print/graphic design.

When I started here in November we had two locations and were selling Ford, Lincoln, Volvo and Mazda cars. By October, we will be acquiring a new used car dealership and two Chrysler dealerships. You can probably guess what I'm going to ask, but with the added responsibility of doing the multimedia for an additional 3 dealerships, should I be asking for a raise? I'm salary.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Been a while
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 2:02:38 pm

but with the added responsibility of doing the multimedia for an additional 3 dealerships, should I be asking for a raise? I'm salary.

No. Just because the dealership is expanding doesn't entitle you to a raise. Add to that those new dealerships will most likely be operating at a loss for at least a year, there's definitely no additional money to pay your salary.

My guess going in to ask for a raise at the time they are buying new dealerships raises the "headache" flag to management. As in "this guy is going to be a headache every time we expand, time to let him go and look for someone else."

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Aaron CadieuxRe: Been a while
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 2:20:24 pm

Thanks Walter.

Never been in this kind of situation before, so I didn't know this kind of thing usually works. Work always boils down to being a business, which always boils down to the dollars. Gotta dot my Is and cross my Ts.

Return to posts index

Michael HendrixRe: Been a while
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:13:32 pm

My view is a little different. It all comes down to time. If they expect you to maintain your current workload and add the additional work load, they should compensate you for the additional work. When you were hired, hopefully you agreed to the job at hand and they agreed to the compensation. The job has changed and probably the hours.

Now if they decided to cut back on the amount of work for the other dealerships, then that is their decision. I do agree that it is a touchy subject and how you approach it important, especially working with car dealers.

I dont think they would expect a mechanic or salesman to work at all three dealerships for the same pay and they shouldn't expect you to do the same.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Been a while
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:22:41 am

When you say "on salary", Aaron, I'm guessing you mean a fixed salary to do anything and everything they can throw at you up to x number of hours a week, yes? If they hold to the fixed number of hours, this means you're going to have to drop some projects or stretch the delivery date for them, to stay on the time budget. The classic triangle problem is fast, good, cheap, pick only two. Any two, but ONLY two. You may have to lower your quality to meet his deadlines. It wouldn't be the first time that happened for a car dealer spot:-)

Everyone understands the occasional late day at work when something important is on the line. However, are they going to make a habit of it? To do many more hours, for the same pay, is tantamount to a wage cut. It certainly is no way to reward good work.

Are you expecting the expanded work to make you go into overtime? If the wrench-turners at the shop get overtime, you should, too. How much the amount is, is negotiable. As is the manner of the compensation. They could give you more vacation days or sick days. They could agree to buy you new tools that would help speed your work. They could give you a car. Okay, maybe the last one is pushing it. But you're an aggressive guy, maybe you can pull it off if you keep your temper:-)

The worst thing is to let this fester without a resolution, because it will train the boss to think you're a pushover, and you will never make progress in future negotiations. You will wind up like Milton in "Office Space", pushed down level after level because he doesn't assert himself.

When the boss has a free moment, ask politely if you can talk over the strategy going forward, what kinds of work he wants done, what his expectations will be when the new additions come in. Next, have numbers in hand to show what kind of hours these projects take. Keep the math simple as possible, and show that you can finish x number of projects in N amount of time. Ask him what he's willing to stop or reduce doing, to make room for the new stuff. He's going to say he wants everything and more. Just like one of his salesmen, you explain you're willing to do more, but that doing more deserves getting more. Don't say a number first, let him name one. In reply, don't react to the number immediately, talk instead about your deep commitment to him, your growing ability and efficiency, your need for more and faster equipment, etc. Wait for the counter-offer that he'd already had in mind.

You should already have the new minimum compensation figured out on your own. Don't get greedy, just make it equal to the extra hours at the rate you're getting now. You need to have a figure in your head that's a go/no-go point. If he doesn't come up to your number, say you have to think about how you can make his number work. The next day, name one of the jobs you'll have to stop altogether in order to make this work at the figure he named.

Finally, remember the first things you learned as a kid in the schoolyard: you don't ever make a threat or promise you can't or won't keep. And 2: he has to believe you're willing to walk away from a bad deal, and YOU have to believe that FIRST, because he can read you. Are you ready to walk from this job if he can't meet you somewhere in the middle? If he knows you're not willing to walk, he owns you, and he's always going to own you until he thinks you have someplace better to go. Like his competitor.

Start prepping your reel and resume', leave a copy of it on a side table in your suite... even arrange to take a 2-hour lunch and be seen by someone on staff wearing typical interviewing clothing. You can bluff, and go eat burgers for two hours, but they'll have to assume you're looking for a better job. And if you ARE looking for a better job, that's going to show on your "game face" during that key negotiation. That shows you're serious.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved