BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

How much to charge for a motion graphic piece?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pach ValenzonaHow much to charge for a motion graphic piece?
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 12:57:54 am

Good day everyone! I was curious on how much do usually companies charge for a motion graphic piece especially for a 60 seconds animation. Below are samples of the quality of animation that I would like to achieve but I don't know how much it will cost. I guess they are of different styles and will cost differ. I would just like to know how much is the estimated price for this pieces?

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: How much to charge for a motion graphic piece?
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 5:03:23 pm

Pricing depends on many variables, including desired technical and artistic quality, speed pressure, degree of work needed - implement only from a tight storyboard with an expert designer or ad agency on board, or come up with concept, refine it in discussion, devgelop and deliver.

It also depends on your market - where you are located, whether it's for a big ad campaign, a would-be viral web piece, or small, controlled internal audinces. And it may vary with importance: if the graphic is key to winning a trial (demo of why a plane crashed, e.g.) or a very big contract, its importance to the user and so its allowable budget (if justified) may grow. Of course any existing music rights may also add significantly to the budget.

So what are you wanting to do? Make something, or sell to somebody?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: How much to charge for a motion graphic piece?
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:53:51 pm

Billing for these things is based on time multiplied by rate. You could find that the most experienced guy is cheapest because while his rate is high, his hours will be less than that of some kid living in mom's basement with a copy of aftereffects and a case of Red bull. The kid could take many more hours to do what the crafstman does.

I see a lot of layer work in those examples, (really liked the first one, myself) and I know from my meager experience that there's a lot of pre-production just in building the layers in photoshop or whatever, before you can even begin animating. All that pre-production work has to be done by someone, either on your own staff, or by the editor/compositoR.

If you can prepare all those elements for the artist in advance, on your own time, for less cost, then tha artist will get done fasterm and bill less. But do you know what those elements all are, and the needed specs? Maybe, maybe not.

Return to posts index

Russel rudeRe: How much to charge for a motion graphic piece?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 7:26:27 am

"Suffer for Fashion" by Of Montreal
"Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games" Of Montreal, you might recognize where this one came from
Pretty much anything you find from Of Montreal is pretty funky

home office furniture | home office supplies |

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved