BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Video production and social media marketing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Haensler
Video production and social media marketing
on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:32:40 pm

With the recent acquisition of Socialcam by Autodesk for 60 million, it begs the question...Is anybody adding marketing, specifically social media marketing to their services. I have recently brought on a partner(limited mind you) who is a Wordpress and social media management guru and am about to roll out a host of new services geared towards non profits and small to mid sized companies to help them with the marketing aspects of what we produce for them. To me, they just go hand in hand. If I produce a video and nobody sees it, what good is it? Thoughts???

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Tech Now

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Video production and social media marketing
on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:43:10 pm

[Mick Haensler] "To me, they just go hand in hand. If I produce a video and nobody sees it, what good is it? Thoughts???"

I think it's a good basic strategy - but one fraught with pitfalls.

A "single person" media partner might not be nearly enough to leverage success in an area where there's so much change, need and confusion.

There's not a single client I know that is happy with their provider of web/social strategies. It takes so much time to do properly - and there are so many companies who want this service - and so few who can actually do it properly - that it often feels to me like tossing effort into a giant whirlpool - even the best practitioners get overwhelmed and end up doing crap work since it's such a hard job - so I'm kinda leary of the whole industry.

Maybe you'll find a path through the jungle. But if so, build slowly and carefully. And try not to leave too many good hearted startups in your wake as you get better and better at it, and therefore move to larger and larger companies, and end up being less and less effective since what works for helping a smaller enterprise isn't the same as what works for helping a larger one.

If I sound a bit harsh, it's because most of my clients are having BIG problems in this area.

They strike a deal with someone for services like you describe, but end up one year later almost universally dissatisfied with their on-going results.

Tough business, right now.

But good luck with it.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jul 18, 2012 at 11:11:18 am

You don't sound harsh at all Bill, that's exactly the kind of dialogue I wanted. My partner is experiencing the same thing with the company he is currently contracting with. It seems a lot of the problem stems from unrealistic expectations brought on by sales pitches that promise the world. I would love the opportunity to chat with you one on one if you would be so inclined. My email is mickhaensler@comcast.net, thanks!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Tech Now

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:17:33 pm

IMO social media marketing is highly over-rated, and mostly ineffective. Just recently I read some articles on major companies cutting FB adverts because they are not producing results, and in some cases producing negative results. They found that their efforts are lost in the noise, and some that dismiss ads say things like "If Bob likes Brand X, it must suck because my friend Bob is clueless about...".
I realize this is painting with a broad brush, and some applications of SMM have worked well and produced results. But I feel those are the exception and not the rule.
Anecdotal, even when it is a product or service that I'm interested in, I can quickly reach a saturation point and unfollow or block those that cross the threshold into the spam arena by posting too much. My wife works as a program director at a large national non-profit and will echo that complaint with SMM. On the flip side as a user of SMM and traditional mass mail marketing, the traditional mail campaigns still win hands down in her experience.
One of the key features of SMM when it first started out was the fact it was free. So if you already were paying a marketing dept, or went DIY it's a no-brainer. On the other hand hiring a consultant, or firm seems to be a waste in most instances. YMMV.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:11:22 pm

YMMV?? Don't know that one....

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:26:32 pm

YMMV I think that's Y_our M_ileage M_ay V_ary

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:29:14 pm

Your Mileage May Vary.
(Used as a general disclaimer that a generalisation does not discount the possibility of contrary outcomes happening in occasional/exceptional circumstances).

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Jul 19, 2012 at 3:11:46 pm

Hi Mick,

I don't join in threads unless I know something about that subject and this one I have quite a bit of experience in:

Video for Social Media, by Professional Video People, Is Now Too Cheap to Deal With. Especially since you mention you are targeting non-profits.

This area of production has become too DIY, or they want a UGC look (user generated content). For a couple of years I had a good run doing videos for SM, mainly for large companies doing B2C, then when they finally realized there were no returns they could prove to the C level it petered out. I receive several trade magazines on this subject such as Website, E Content, B2B, etc., and there are a ton of articles about companies trying to prove the worth of SM in terms of ROI and I am on the look out for articles regarding the use of pro video in SM. The Holy Grail has always been the video that goes viral but they are one in a million. If you can latch onto a large company with a good size digital advertising budget, then producing video for SM can be worthwhile financially. But my experience has been that market is getting cheaper, or perhaps it's all these low priced competitors syphoning it off?

To my point, check out:

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?R=1009197&ecid=a6506033675d47f8816519...

Also:

http://www.webvideomarketing.org/index.php/video-analytics/6274-as-online-v...

These articles sum it up: Plateau and No Metrics. After a couple of years of throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks, many of my clients are slowing down on SM(and online) marketing which means less video. No big deal, I will go after other niches. Beware that many articles in these trades that paint a rosy picture are often PR pieces planted by companies (and SEO/SM consultants), that's why I like to read the surveys instead.

There are some SEO experts who want their clients to place video on all their SM pages just to increase visibility to the search engines, as if they were blogs, so I get a lot of calls from very small businesses that can't afford a pro. I have also noticed that a lot of people that used to produce websites moved into SEO consulting when they saw how crowded development was getting and now they have moved into SM consulting. They are everywhere have you noticed?

So in sum, I think the profits for producing pro video for Social Media sites is on a steep decline, unless you can get in with a very large, marketing driven company that needs to present a high quality level for their brand and image. That's my two cents.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
http://www.bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jul 19, 2012 at 6:39:57 pm

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, some great insights here and much food for thought. Perhaps I should back up a bit though and explain more precisely what we're doing. First of all, we're not producing videos FOR social media, we're producing marketing videos that can be REPURPOSED for social media. And when I say social media I include the company web site(online hub), blog, as well as mobile applications and whatever else the tech gods throw at us in the next month. In doing this we are finding many of our clients are sorely lacking in the SMM arena. Let's face it, SMM is a pain in the arse. It's tedious, time consuming, and if you or someone in your organization doesn't have a passion for it, it's not going to be done well. We don't sell this as some magic bullet nor do we paint an unrealistic picture of the ROI. SMM is not the end all be all, but it is a part of doing business for most companies in 2012 and if neglected, it can hurt a company. We'd like to help our clients avoid that.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 21, 2012 at 1:51:42 am

Personally, social media the way it's practiced today reminds me of Music School in my 20s.

If you start out to compose excellent music, the worst thing you can do is to start writing to "rules."

That's backwards. You write to the sounds, and figure out the rules later.

Video, to be effective needs to be don't he same way. It needs to be created to solve problems. Whether the problem is to make someone smile, sell a widget, or explain how to chop onions - the value of the video has to be in the effectiveness of doing it's job.

IF that's done - only THEN can social media optimization do you any good. Because a the end of the SEO chain, people will find that they've been led to something WORTH finding.

The problem is that most SEO work is leading people to places that are mediocre.

It just stand to reason that with a gazillion web sites out there, the vast majority of them will be largely unworthy of being driven to.

And the best SEO Strategy in the world won't change any behaviors if its just driving people to places they have no interest in coming back to.

My thinking anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]