BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Just got my new website up!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JenkinsJust got my new website up!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:18:23 am

It's similar in style to the previous one, but instead of Flash, this one is based on Wordpress and is mobile compatible and all that stuff. Oh, and the videos on the main page are hosted on the COW.

flowmotionmedia.com

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 3:33:51 pm

I really love the aesthetic and the textures. Are you sure it's wise to list rates there, though? We have this discussion all the time here. I feel that posting a rate figure without any context, even a reasonable figure, just leads to problems and perhaps lost sales opportunities. Have you found it to be different? Did you always post your rates on the home page?

Return to posts index

Jason JenkinsRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:14:25 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I really love the aesthetic and the textures. Are you sure it's wise to list rates there, though? We have this discussion all the time here. I feel that posting a rate figure without any context, even a reasonable figure, just leads to problems and perhaps lost sales opportunities. Have you found it to be different? Did you always post your rates on the home page?"

Thanks, Mark. I'm fond of having my rates right up front. What effect it actually has, I don't know, but I imagine that it pre-qualifies the potential client. I don't want work that doesn't pay my rate, so why mess around? I like the idea of being very up-front and transparent. That philosophy has served me well. I've had a client call me up and ask my advice on how to deal with another video vendor they were using, who wasn't so transparent. They trust me and I like that.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:22:38 pm

I love the design and the style, but the site is way too busy and the layout is inconsistent. It looks like you have emphasized numerous things on the page - when you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing. I found myself hunting around for basic information. I would pick one thing per page to emphasize and then lose the rest. Really.

It kinda looks like a first year design student did the design and layout. I think the demo reel is too long - I closed it after 30 seconds. Can you compartmentalize so everything isn't on one reel? Like split the live-action and the motion graphic stuff up so you have a couple short reels? All it really does is skip from client to client and functions far less as a promotional reel for you and far more as a gosh-neat, look what I've done. If you're making a demo for another video pro or you're trying to get a job, it's great, but a potential client will be lost. You have to walk them through what they are seeing so they know what they are getting. Don't assume they'll just get it. They won't.

Why do you have a pile of stuff there? What is it doing? If you can't answer that question, it doesn't belong there. It looks like I should be flipping through stuff there, it pops with this annoying animation of flying cards and then you have to click again to get the video to show and then again to get the video to play. Can you eliminate at least one of the clicks? More than 2 and I get annoyed.

Nice on NOT using Flash, btw.

The navigation is so-so. The only things that change are the small bits at the top. There are no significant changes there to warrant the use of those tabs. The first few times I clicked, I didn't think anything had happened. It's almost like it was put there for the sake of doing some gosh-neat thing when it would have been faster and easier to either make the same info cycle by itself or just drop in some next/prev buttons.

Finally, how do you answer this: why are you better than your competition? I don't see that addressed on the site. You have some of it on the bottom with the mystery meat icons (the heart, balloon, check, etc. icons), but those should really be at the top, right? You have only a few seconds to capture someone's attention and the good stuff is at the bottom. You're gonna lose everyone before they read it.

Regardless, I'll say again, I love the look of the site. The 40's-60's printhouse look is neat and the letterpress logo is neat. As a web page, it's too busy, if I didn't know you were a video/media company, I would think you were a startup design company (all the visual print references). I know you may not have ASKED for all this feedback, but as a long time graphic designer, I can't help it. Everything can be improved.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:41:20 pm

Well I come down somewhere in between. Clients like to know what to expect, and if you are a pro, you likely are priced in the ballpark of the competition. The kind of customers who would think it's all about hourly are likely to be different than agency clients, I would guess. What I would say, after viewing your reel, is that you are priced about right for the Everett market (I'm over on the Olympic Peninsula, and charge a bit less, but there is not the demand as there is in Everett, nor do I have your kind of commercial reel). Your quality puts you up at the proper range for someone viewing your prices, I would say. I doubt your jobs will be based on someone being a 'bit less'. Either it will be much lower-cost competition, or a different idea pitch. Nice FX, clean modern commercial footage. Likely good for the greater Puget Sound TV market.

I do find the web site ok, but a bit cluttered. If I were a perspective client, checking the field of competition on the web, I might find it confusing. I did find myself clicking on areas I assumed to have response, but not immediately seeing things change. Have to also say that your music track comes across mighty tinny and irratating on my Thinkpad 520 speakers. (I had to turn down the speakers during it). I would likely tone it down, or make it less tinny. I likely would try a different song though.

Good luck! Maybe we'll meet up at some point, since we are somewhat close.

Al

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:36:49 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Al. I'm curious to know what you clicked on that didn't have a response.

My hope for the site is that a potential client would see it and think, "Wow, this is cool and different!", "This guy is really creative!"

The music on the compilation demo sounds good to me. Maybe it's just a taste thing.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 7:22:19 pm

I think that in a quick look passing my mouse over the buttons on the bottom that change the text field to the right, that it wasn't immediately obvious that those fields were changing. Now I see they were. Might be a nit, but you might see about boosting the contrast a wee bit in that text box, if possible. Perhaps a low key halo around the box as it changes? Overall it's a creative web page, and keeps the client right at the top level, which is great. I would monitor the response rate closely for the next few months, and maybe tie it to an email campaign weekly. I've found that email really drives views to the sites I manage for folks. More so than FB.

I do feel that music might not be right, either too loud, or a bit screechy. Since it's a kitchy kind of 50s look, you might want to listen to a variety of other needle drops. Maybe something will do the same feel, but with a bit less of the irritation.

Al

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:28:38 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I'm glad you like the look. I designed the site myself, but I am admittedly not a professional designer. I wish I were! Maybe I should go for a Master's in graphic design...

You really think 60 some seconds for a compilation demo is too long? It is pretty much a gosh-neat look what I've done kinda thing. I don't feel the need to dumb it down for potential clients.

I could probably fix it so that the demos would play automatically to eliminate a click. I think that's a good suggestion.

[Jonathan Ziegler] "Finally, how do you answer this: why are you better than your competition? I don't see that addressed on the site."

The site itself, with demos, is supposed to answer that question. Why tell someone why I'm better when I can show them? I'm not fond of text and lengthy explanations.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:46:31 pm

I have rates on our page too and I think it adds a layer of transparency to the client...we are up front, we don't hide things and there will be no surprises. We have gotten great leads off our site just because of the way we come across....a great bunch of talented creatives who love what they do and produce great work.

I think I get what Jason does, looks like a good guy and isn't afraid to post his rates. BTW, they are right in line with ours, although we are considering a little bump in our rates that are almost 8 years old now!

Nice work.

http://www.tiltmedia.com

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2012 at 12:10:45 am

Thanks for your comments, Rich! I just checked out your site and while I'm not too thrilled by the site itself, your work is WOW! Really excellent, inspiring stuff. I want to be like you when I grow up. (Too bad I'm turning 40 in a few days...) I'll be going back there often to steal ideas.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Just got my new website up!
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 9:12:52 pm

Hi Jason,

Love the website, love the look.

Did you do this yourself or did you hire someone? I'm wondering if that's a pre-created template, or was that designed for you?

I really like how the samples move, but we weren't clear at first that they were your video samples. I wonder if there's a way to label them.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2012 at 4:54:06 pm

[Greg Ball] "Love the website, love the look.

Did you do this yourself or did you hire someone? I'm wondering if that's a pre-created template, or was that designed for you?"

Thanks, Greg. I designed the website in Photoshop, based loosely on a Wordpress theme that I purchased. My amazing web guy, Richard Foster, took my Photoshop work and did some major modifying of the Wordpress theme to bring this to life. I love how easy it is to change out the video samples on the main page or add news posts with embedded videos.

[Greg Ball] "I really like how the samples move, but we weren't clear at first that they were your video samples. I wonder if there's a way to label them."

Perhaps if I made the play symbol on the topmost video more opaque it would be more obvious.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]