BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Integrating additional producer credits after project completion

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prl JacobIntegrating additional producer credits after project completion
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 5:22:51 pm

I recently completed a short video project for an NGO client and they asked me to add additional producer credits and logos of a private company after completion of the project as they realized they didn't want to foot the entire originally agreed on sum. This was conveyed to me after they screened the movie to a selected audience and the company wanted to use it for their website (No extra payment for me of course). I'm a little peeved. Do I have the right to be so and can I refuse to do so or charge additional service fees for the extra work required to add the logos? How far do my rights as creator go when doing client assigned work? Please help

- A young film maker with no business skills.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Integrating additional producer credits after project completion
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:06:01 pm

[Prl Jacob] "A young film maker"

First, they're not asking you to remove your credit and replace it with someone else's so I really don't see what you have to object to, unless the new corporate entity has a negative image attached to it. If not, get over it and make the change. It will be better for your prospects of future work from both parties going forward.

Second, did you have anything in writing that would say whether or not this could be done?

Third, yes, by all means you should charge for the time to make this change. That's a no brainer -- they asked for something after completion, they pay to have it done.

Return to posts index

Prl JayRe: Integrating additional producer credits after project completion
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:34:21 pm

Thanks Nick,

I guess my main hang up is that the story is a sensitive human interest piece and I personally don't like the idea of a private company with no stake nor personal interest in the cause being raised branding it as theirs just cause they liked it. Plus the original clients decided they'd like to split the costs for the work after it was done. I'm mainly a journalist so not very used to dealing with private clients. There were nothing in writing that this couldn't be done but guess I'm learning. Also my fees were based on the fact that it was an NGO, not a for profit company.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Integrating additional producer credits after project completion
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:10:07 pm

[Prl Jay] "my fees were based on the fact that it was an NGO, not a for profit company."

OK, this I get and am sympathetic. But, at this stage, and without at the very least an invoice clearly stating a "not for profit" discount, IMHO you have to let this go, learn the lesson and move on. Sorry.

Return to posts index

John BaumchenRe: Integrating additional producer credits after project completion
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:30:32 pm

Since the request was made "after completion of the project", then you're certainly entitled to charge for the extra work....at your standard rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]