BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

No takers on this? News footage question.

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
No takers on this? News footage question.
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:11:13 pm

I'm working on a project that will use featured news stories about a specific topic. I find stories some of these News Broadcasts on YouTube. Back in the day, we were able to purchase news clips from monitoring services, but how would I find clips from stories that have occurred over the past couple of years?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: No takers on this? News footage question.
on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:04:21 am

CNN Newssource? It's been about 12 years since I was there, but I think you can request specific elements and they'll dig it up from the library.

http://newsource.cnn.com/

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:08:03 pm

Thanks all.

I'm looking for a very specific story or set of stories regarding child abductions or Children being left in cars. Perhaps a lost child. It's for a promo video for a client's new product.

I've looked at video monitoring services, but I may try CNN News source. Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:24:59 pm

Be careful with that - rights managed footage will have all of the proper releases signed so you can use them commercially, but editorial footage doesn't have any rights released and you may be stuck with a lawsuit if you use someone's likeness for commercial use (there's special laws for journalism that don't apply to the same image/footage in commercial use). I strongly suggest you consult briefly with an intellectual property or, ideally, an entertainment lawyer before using news footage commercially.

If you need the footage and can't find it, find some online and just recreate it with all of the names and faces changed.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:43:20 pm

Depends largely on what you're looking for. You can still get tons of editorial footage online for even the most current stuff at stock agencies and news stock agencies. Depends on your needs and the project and what kind of rights you need. Where have you searched online already?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:49:03 pm

If I recall correctly, ThoughtEquity.com has the rights to CBS and BBC News and some other big broadcasters.

You might give them a peek.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America
http://www.creativecow.net

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter, don't mind -- and those that mind, don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jun 27, 2012 at 2:42:07 pm

I've had good material from Associated Press.
For european stuff ITN Source.
For specific stories you might have to contact the particular broadcaster.

As others have mentioned, news is mostly covered by fair use and some of what you might find through news agencies will have to be cleared with the original source (news stories might have shots from an external source included in their news stories, e.g., I did some things about the BP oil spill last year and there was underwater footage from Woods Hole in some news reports that had to be cleared separately), so be careful about anything that wasn't obviously filmed by a news agency.

If you aren't news and want to use anything through fair use, i.e., without clearing it, there are clauses that might allow you to do so but you must speak to a lawyer about it first.

Return to posts index

Afsheen Aziz
on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:58:16 pm

sure... you're right :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]