BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

freelance videographer resources

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bryan parrisfreelance videographer resources
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:23:21 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a resource for quality freelance videographers across the country? Our immediate need is in the Boston area, but as our travel increases exponentially, we are interested in finding trusted freelancer shooters in a number of regions.

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:32:38 pm

The Creative Cow is a great place to be. You can even post in the job opening forum when you are ready to hire out. Also stay active on LinkedIn. You can find some talent there by searching and building your community of contacts. You can also get plugged in on media groups in local markets. For instance I live in Arizona and there are a couple Media Professional groups that anyone can check out/join/post job openings.

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:39:01 pm

I use World Communications Link. I've used them for over 20 years now. They have great crews around the country and the world. Feel free to email me offline, and I'll give you more details.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:09:07 pm

[Greg Ball] "I use World Communications Link"

or you can use Crews Control... BUT I agree with Jeff and would start here on the COW. You want to first post under the COW section "JOBS Offered - Higher Pay" then ask those who reply to detail equipment and show you a reel. This is the kind of screening that World Communications and Crews Control provide in exchange for the higher fee they likely charge than going direct.

I've had very good luck here when looking for skilled people. My experiences looking for lower-skilled PAs or Jr. grips has not been good, kind of like a 'luck of the draw' with Craig's List.

Return to posts index

Steve MartinRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 12:12:24 pm

I agree Nick! I don't travel a lot, but when I do, I'll usually post here on the COW and have gotten great results. You just have to do you due diligence and ask lots of questions!

Of course, if you're ever in Central Florida - feel free to call on us :)

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Ned MillerRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:04:07 pm

Hi Bryan,

I have been a freelance Chicago Videographer for thirty years and here's my advice:

The best option is to ask another producer who they have used but if you don't have a personal referral there are several directories that I go to. I would avoid the crewing services, even Crews Control. I shot for them for many years but in the last several years they have changed the way they pick someone for your assignment: now they will assign a DP that is closest to your job rather than who may be best. I know this because I live in the far northern suburbs and they would never call me for a downtown gig. They must have a program that compares zip codes or something since many shooters charge portal-to-portal which is an old union rule I never used. Crewing services are best for finding shooters in the boon docks.

Professional shooters list on These are experienced pros so you won't have to filter through wedding shooters, newbies, etc. Another site that pros are on is and There are many others but these are where the pros tend to list.

Also, on my site I have a list of ALL the good crewing sites, since I have to find crews often: But I would avoid a crewing service unless you have absolutely no time to do it yourself. You'd have a DP showing up who has taken a 15-20% hit on their rate as it is. Best to be able to interview over the phone and establish a rapport. You can tell a lot about one's personality and chemistry just on the phone whereas a service acts as a buffer, despite all their PR.

Lastly, in most of the major markets I know my counterparts so if you contact me I can tell you about Boston.

Take care,

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer

Return to posts index

Afsheen AzizRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:58:24 pm

gr8 sites i must say
will look forward to it ASAP

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe:Steve Martin
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:11:16 pm

Hi Steve,

Periodically we shoot in the Orlando area. Can you give me an idea of your rates and do you have a demo reel?

Please feel free to email me at

We're located in South Florida, so if you ever have a need down here, we can help.

Return to posts index

Steve MartinRe: Re:Steve Martin
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 4:48:42 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reaching out! I'll send you an email - but for all of our bovine friends who might need a studio facility in Orlando (sorry for the shameless plug!),

Check out

This is our facility (it's just branded separately from Omni) and is perfect for small to mid sized productions. About 10 minutes from the airport and is available for only $450/day.

Heck, there's even a massage chair in the Green Room!

OK - end of shameless plug...

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Bob GiffordRe: freelance videographer resources
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 5:51:13 pm

Probably a little late but we also freelance when available, 10 min from Boston, off of Mass Pike. Gifford Productions, 20 years experience. Crew of 1,2,or 3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved