BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Writing proposal...include travel specifics?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant WilberWriting proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:41:37 am

Writing a proposal for a video shoot that would have me travel. When I write up the traveling expenses (airfare, car rental, hotel, food) should I write each one and what the cost is, or do you just lump it together?

Also this would be the first time traveling to another part of the country for video work. Any tips budget or production wise? Gonna hire a local lighting tech so I don't have to worry about the lighting gear. Probably will still have a duffle bag full of stuff though to check in.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Writing proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:32:38 pm

I usually give quotes as three or four overall categories. Each category lumps together the costs within that category. For example:

PRODUCTION
-Director / Cameraman
-Producer
-Grip
-PA / Script Supervisor
-Equipment Rental
-Media
-Actors (Union, On-Camera, Speaking)
-Actors (non-union, non-speaking)
-Stylist / Hair / Makeup
-Props
-Location Fees
-Wardrobe
-Crew Meals / Per Diem
-Travel days
-Airfare
-Hotel
-Vehicle: Rental or Mileage Re-imbursement

This is what I work from. What's given to the client is the bottom line number only.

Other overall categories are for Pre-Production (Meetings, scouting, and writing), Post-Production, DVD Authoring.

Very few clients want to see each and every cost, in fact those who do are often trouble (in my experience).

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Writing proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:45:18 pm

I think Nick's breakdown is pretty good.

When we travel, we breakdown travel costs SOME, but not COMPLETELY...

SOME because we don't want the client to have sticker shock of a big number for travel costs... several smaller numbers seem more palatible even IF they total up to the same amount. Secondly, we don't necessarily need a client to see where every nickle and dime of travel costs go, because then they start questioning petty amounts.

I'm not the money guy (I just pretend to be the boss around here), but I think we usually break down travel costs like...

TRANSPORTATION
ACCOMMODATIONS
MEALS
MISCELLANEOUS

"Accommodations" and "Meals" are the obvious ones. "Transportation" can include everything from air fare to a rickshaw ride.... air fare, vehicle rental, mileage on our own vehicles, that kind of thing. "Miscellaneous" is the obvious catch-all... anything from parking to tipping a bellboy to three bucks at the hotel drugstore to buy a razor because you can't seem to find the one you are sure you packed.

We also bill for the crew's travel time as well, of course... but that's a separate line item.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Writing proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:14:21 pm

We lump it.

Production.

Travel.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: Writing proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:58:34 pm

>>Very few clients want to see each and every cost, in fact those who do are often trouble (in my experience).

x10 on that.

I shoot people.
http://www.patrickortman.com

Return to posts index

Steve MartinRe: Writing proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:00:24 am

Unless we have specifics (exact travel dates, location(s), etc..) we simply say that travel costs are TBA pending logistics. If we have the logistics, then we give them a rough breakdown for airfare, lodging, per diem, etc...)

LIke you, we seldom travel with lighting gear. It's almost always better for us to hire a good local gaffer & grip with gear.

Have a great shoot!

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: Writing proposal...include travel specifics?
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:47:04 pm

[Steve Martin] "LIke you, we seldom travel with lighting gear. It's almost always better for us to hire a good local gaffer & grip with gear."

Couldn't agree more, with emphasis on the word "good" (or "great," actually). But you can't always find lighting gear & gaffers at all locations, and some gaffers/grips just aren't that fast or enthusiastic, which can be a real drag. On a recent trip, VERY run-and-gun, the producer and I went gaffer-less & found it kind of liberating not to have to worry about the extra personnel, even though it was a ton of work to do all the schlepping, lighting, and audio.

You can't rely on people you've never worked with, nor the airline to carry your luggage on your flight. So I take something with me every trip, or else use FedEx Ground to ship it ahead of time. Always assume that FedEx or your checked luggage won't arrive; take enough in carry-on to do the shoot in some fashion (camera, batteries, lav, etc.)

Budget-wise, "Miscellaneous" is an absolutely essential category. Nick's list is excellent, but you can't possibly foresee all contingencies. Paying the jackhammer construction crew $60 to take off early for lunch, while you finish your interview?

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]