BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

rate for using my own dslr equipment?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paolo zunigarate for using my own dslr equipment?
by on May 15, 2012 at 2:33:06 am

Hello Creative Cow friends,

I've been doing some video editing work for this local non-profit that runs digital media tech camps and after school programs. They also do video production for local businesses and other county groups. I recently started with them and I've been asked to assist as a videographer on a week long shoot in June. The shoot itself is pretty simple.. a series of one person interviews aboard an aircraft carrier.

The group has their own dslr gear, but not enough to cover every person working on the project plus the other video projects they've got going. So they've asked if I'd be willing to use my own gear (t2i dslr cam, mics, tripod - they'll provide the lighting), and if so, they'd like to know what the additional charge would be for using my own gear.

My question is, how much should I charge for using my own gear on this week long shoot? Should I even put a price on that, or just be happy that I've got work? They have been pretty cool about lending me small light kits for my own personal projects, so I want to make sure I don't over charge them.

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: rate for using my own dslr equipment?
by on May 15, 2012 at 10:30:56 am

Add up the full value of all of your kit that you will use to do the job. Divide it by 10-this is a good start point for a daily hire charge. Then you can negotiate with them about whether they pay for every day of use or have a 3 day week agreement (3 days charge for each 5 day period).

It's only fair they should pay-if you weren't there they would have to pay for hire through a local shop. Maybe you could ask what one near you charges? Calumet in the uk has got a very comprehensive kit list for dry hire that you could convert to US prices....

You should charge something, and make sure you allow for insurance costs for your gear whilst away. Worst scenario is you charge nothing and $1k worth of kit ends up stolen/lost/damaged.

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: rate for using my own dslr equipment?
by on May 15, 2012 at 2:28:40 pm

I search for the same equipment at rental houses for the same time frame, subtract shipping charges and discount by about 25%. I consider everything negotiable and, as such, you can always bring your price down, but you can't bring it back up. If they freak and say its too much, ask them what they consider more reasonable and the negotiations begin. Plan to meet somewhere in between their number and yours.

Jonathan Ziegler

Return to posts index

paolo zunigaRe: rate for using my own dslr equipment?
by on May 24, 2012 at 4:53:27 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to check out some of the rental rates from a local photo/video rental store and come up with a reasonable rate.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: rate for using my own dslr equipment?
by on May 16, 2012 at 2:33:57 pm

Be sure to include insurance on your equipment's replacement costs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved