BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

scary thought

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Asselinscary thought
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:24:03 am

I don't even want to consider the possibility of this.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/would-apple-buy-adobe.html/

Return to posts index

Tom SeftonRe: scary thought
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:09:12 am

Please no.

Welcome to Applobe CS7.8.21.2.4 with removed support for external device capture, no timeline, no external monitoring and no backwards compatability with any adobe products. And auto save. And all previous products are now discontinued.

Return to posts index

Alex ElkinsRe: scary thought
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:50:14 pm

<rant>

I have absolutely no idea why people bother writing these speculative articles. Actually I do, it's so that they get hits on their website. Other than that they serve no purpose. There is no suggestion whatsoever from Apple or Adobe that this would ever happen. In fact it almost certainly wouldn't, given the two companies' recent history.

Even if Apple wanted to buy, why on earth would Adobe sell? The two companies have competing products, and frankly Adobe are winning the battle amongst content creators by a long way thanks mainly to Photoshop but also lately to After Effects and Premiere Pro as well.

And supposing Adobe did want to sell, I don't think Apple would consider buying anyway, regardless of the politics between the two companies. Apple know they don't need to be the ones providing content creation software anymore - people design things to be consumed on their iProducts. These days when Apple do decide to provide the software platform for creators they build it themselves (see FCP-X).

There was a similar article doing the rounds the other day that speculated that Dell could build a 'new and improved' Mac Pro if only Apple would let them. Exciting as that might sound it's not going to happen and it serves only to confuse the issues surrounding the (probably non-existent) future of the Mac Pro. I suppose it's a bit late to ask that journalists exercise a little more common sense and responsibility!

</rant>

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
Post Blue showreel
Latest work: Greyhounds in Motion at 500fps
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: scary thought
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:17:38 pm

Bwahahahahahahahahah.....

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2012 at 2:43:56 pm

Just correcting some odd formatting that occurred when I first posted this...

I have absolutely no idea why people bother writing these speculative articles. Actually I do, it's so that they get hits on their website. Other than that they serve no purpose. There is no suggestion whatsoever from Apple or Adobe that this would ever happen. In fact it almost certainly wouldn't, given the two companies' recent history.

Even if Apple wanted to buy, why on earth would Adobe sell? The two companies have competing products, and frankly Adobe are winning the battle amongst content creators by a long way thanks mainly to Photoshop but also lately to After Effects and Premiere Pro as well.

And supposing Adobe did want to sell, I don't think Apple would consider buying anyway, regardless of the politics between the two companies. Apple know they don't need to be the ones providing content creation software anymore - people design things to be consumed on their iProducts. These days when Apple do decide to provide the software platform for creators they build it themselves (see FCP-X).

There was a similar article doing the rounds the other day that speculated that Dell could build a 'new and improved' Mac Pro if only Apple would let them. Exciting as that might sound it's not going to happen and it serves only to confuse the issues surrounding the (probably non-existent) future of the Mac Pro. I suppose it's a bit late to ask that journalists exercise a little more common sense and responsibility!

Alex Elkins
Post Blue showreel
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: scary thought
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 3:50:25 pm

In your opinion, what computer do developers want to use to create iApps?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2012 at 4:13:01 pm

[Richard Herd] "In your opinion, what computer do developers want to use to create iApps?"

I'm not sure what platforms developers use or want to use as I'm not a software developer, but I'm assuming currently they're using a mixture of Linux, OSX and Windows. I think I see where your question is leading though, and that is to say that it must make sense to develop iApps on an Apple platform. Personally I doubt Apple really cares where its apps are developed as they're still raking in free money regardless, thanks to the App Store and iTunes. If Apple decides there's good money to be made in selling the tools to do it (and they know a lot better than us what makes money) then they'll build something themselves. It's what they do!

In terms of actual content creation, as in audio and video media creation, it's looking to me like these days Apple are quite happy to let people get on with it without them. One way or another, it's likely that Apple will profit from it at some point if the product is at all successful via iTunes rental/purchases and the soon to appear iTV. On top of that they have FCP-X which slowly but surely will work its way into the edit suites of higher-end video creators in the same way the original FCP did, and Apple then profit again.

Alex Elkins
Post Blue showreel
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:00:54 am

Just a curious thought Alex - do you think that FCPX "slowly but surely will work its way into the edit suites of higher-end video creators in the same way the original FCP did?

From reading some of the comments from a lot of content creators, it seems that many are pretty annoyed at apple and have gone as far to purchase windows machines instead.

Wasn't the marketplace that FCP entered a very different one, at a very different time? If apple are losing customers to avid and adobe at the moment, once adobe continues to improve a piece of software that is already better than FCPX, it would be a big ask for people to move back....Apple won people over with FCP by releasing a superior product to a marketplace that was saturated with their hardware. Next time around, will there be as many Mac Pro suites with Mac OS on?

Just some thoughts though - don't think that I am knocking you or your opinions. I find it fascinating what apple has done in the last year, and I am really looking forward to seeing what adobe and avid do to try and wrestle control of the creative markets.iI even wonder if adobe might start partnering with a hardware supplier...

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 12:30:15 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Just a curious thought Alex - do you think that FCPX "slowly but surely will work its way into the edit suites of higher-end video creators in the same way the original FCP did?

I do think FCP-X will begin to regain a lot of the ground its lost, yes. Just comparing my Twitter timeline now against a few months ago I'm seeing more and more people talking about using, and often liking(!), FCP-X for certain projects. I personally don't use it having switched from FCP7 to Media Composer, but I can see FCP-X improving to the point where people are prepared to seriously consider it again.

[Tom Sefton] "it seems that many are pretty annoyed at apple and have gone as far to purchase windows machines instead."

I know a few people have switched to Windows, but I feel like generally the vibe is that people are, for the first time, contemplating a switch to Windows, rather than there being any kind of mass exodus of people actually switching. At least right now that's the case. The bottom line is that lots of people like OSX more than they like Windows, and it'll take a lot to change that.

[Tom Sefton] "Wasn't the marketplace that FCP entered a very different one, at a very different time?"

Yes - back then Apple was a relatively small fish in a huge pond. These days Apple owns media distribution. They are the company you and I have to go through to be successful content creators. And if we're not earning directly or indirectly via Apple now then we probably will be in a few years time. The only thing Apple doesn't have a serious hold on is corporate video, and I'd put money on saying that that's what FCP-X will be mainly used for in the future.

[Tom Sefton] "Apple won people over with FCP by releasing a superior product to a marketplace that was saturated with their hardware."

I'm not sure I'd call the original release of FCP superior. It was a lot cheaper. So is FCP-X, albeit to a much lesser extent.

[Tom Sefton] "Next time around, will there be as many Mac Pro suites with Mac OS on?"

Great point, and it's the one area where Apple may have shot themselves in the foot slightly. That said, I think Apple believe that an iMac is good enough for FCP-X (which is probably true for most users thanks to Thunderbolt). The point really is that Apple don't need to concern themselves with the tiny minority of people who need more horsepower than a multi-core iMac with Thunderbolt can provide - and if they are concerned then they'll release a new Mac Pro, in which case you can be damn sure the OSX loyalists on high-end Premiere and Avid suites are going to forget all about a possible switch to Windows.

[Tom Sefton] "I am really looking forward to seeing what adobe and avid do to try and wrestle control of the creative markets"

Same here. I really hope both companies come out well from the whole thing. I'm pretty sure Adobe will. Avid may need to rely a little bit on loyalty from their long-term customers if they don't make a big enough improvement to Media Composer shortly after CS6 comes out.

Alex Elkins
Post Blue showreel
My Vimeo Pro page

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: scary thought
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:14:55 pm

New people enter into the field starting up new businesses. When FCPX offers a good value proposition (and I think it will in the not too distant future) that will be the new and growing professional user base.

MacPros will either be updated or replaced with a new Xeon based machine. MacPros are still for sale. It's not that the current model sells well at all. It's that Apple is keeping the distribution channels alive for a replacement IMHO.

If you look at FCPX development it's on a "fast track" (which brings some bumps along with it as far as QC and bugs) but they are pushing very hard. Updates have been at about a 12 week clip and of the three that have happened so far, two had significant feature additions.

If I were starting a facility (as opposed to being a lone operator) FCPX may not be in the running but this time next year may be a very different story (as I suspect).

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: scary thought
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:30:55 pm

[Tom Sefton] "From reading some of the comments from a lot of content creators, it seems that many are pretty annoyed at apple and have gone as far to purchase windows machines instead. "

I can tell you that we currently have one Dell machine in our facility testing out CS 5.5 and will have another Windows machine in here very shortly from another manufacturer. So far so good, easy to make the switch, even our AJA Kona hardware switches from Mac to PC.

It's honestly never been easier to work with both Mac and PC in the same shop, so we're keeping all of our options open. I will never again be locked down to the whims of just one manufacturer, either software or hardware.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:17:56 am

I've been reading your blog Walter - very interesting.

We have done something very similar in the last few years, but we didn't wait for FCPX to make the change. I watched with amazement as a colleague of mine made edits, after effects work, photoshop work and cut Blu Rays with Adobe dynamic link and a relatively cheap workstation and decided to move to windows machines. We spent about £3.5k building a superfast PC with Blackmagic hardware and have never looked back. We still have a Mac Pro with FCP but it hardly ever gets used anymore.

If you look at FCPX development it's on a "fast track" (which brings some bumps along with it as far as QC and bugs) but they are pushing very hard. Updates have been at about a 12 week clip and of the three that have happened so far, two had significant feature additions.

Craig - this goes back to one of my earlier points. Adobe software is already better, more professional and better value for money than FCPX (yes FCPX is cheaper, but something that is half price that doesn't work very well is not worth $5 let alone its full price is it?). If Adobe keeps improving, what does this bode for FCPX? Adobe is also on a fast track with improving CS6 and beyond.... I cant wait to see what we are editing with over the next few years, but after moving away from Apple hardware and software, I will be quick to move to whichever is best in the future. For now and the forseeable future, it is Adobe and by a long way.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:15:44 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Craig - this goes back to one of my earlier points. Adobe software is already better, more professional and better value for money than FCPX (yes FCPX is cheaper, but something that is half price that doesn't work very well is not worth $5 let alone its full price is it?)."

And the one thing Adobe has above all is a suite of products that work hand in hand pretty much seamlessly. So for the extra money you get a suite of products that outperforms everything that Apple ever put into the FC Studio suite. For my money, and especially for the use of freelancers around Atlanta, Adobe and Avid are a much better choice for us than FCPX.

X will have to rise from the bottom up again like the original FCP did, though with everything changing so much now compared to 1999 when it first came out, I'm not sure you'll ever see the market dominance by FCP again. Adobe is the one company that will most likely come out on top because their creative tools just work so incredibly well, in particular Photoshop and After Effects which are used in every edit suite I've ever visited. Now drop Premiere into the workflow and suddenly you realize you're working faster than ever. Adobe still has a lot of work to do in terms of support for 3rd party cards like the AJA Kona board, but I'm hopeful we'll see some improvements with CS6.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: scary thought
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:34:56 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Craig - this goes back to one of my earlier points. Adobe software is already better, more professional and better value for money than FCPX"

There's not much reason for a current facility to consider FCPX in its current tool except for a few of its "specialty" functions. I think there's going to be an "emerging" market where some people will buy and grow with it as it grows. Anecdotally, I see it making inroads in some smaller in house corporate markets.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:43:53 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Anecdotally, I see it making inroads in some smaller in house corporate markets."

That's a market where it's already making inroads and it's a great tool for that. Kind of an "all in one swiss army knife." I've met a few folks creating materials only for websites or in-house presentations that are using the tool precisely for that reason.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]