BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

travelling to thailand

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Yasutaketravelling to thailand
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 8:25:41 pm

I just got booked for a week long shoot in Bangkok, Thailand and wanted any information regarding work visas and bringing in professional video gear. I have traveled internationally before and needed a carnet but wasn't sure if I needed one for Thailand. Any insights would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: travelling to thailand
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:31:29 pm

Well since no one else has responded yet, I'll chime in. My sister lives in northern Thailand, I have a niece who is Thai yet I don't have any specific insight. That said, and assuming you are traveling from the US...

You should call the Thai embassy closest to you (or the one in Washington DC) and ask for their commercial department and pose your question to them directly. I think that you're also missing half of the picture however. The carnet will be of immense help in Customs when you return to the US with your gear. Odds are your camera, along with many other items were made in Asia so you had better be able to establish that you bought the gear in the US and are not attempting to circumvent import duties.

Generic advice, but hope it helps.

Return to posts index

Ed CilleyRe: travelling to thailand
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:38:26 pm

We shot/edited in Phuket, Thailand (southern island) last year. Very little gear and traveled light. We did not have a carnet and had no issues, but if you are bringing a camera larger than an HVX-200, I would recommend getting a carnet. They can be a pain to process, but it covers your butt.

We rented lights locally and, while we had some issues with deposits, they were very responsive and it all worked out fine.

We got visas through the company we were working for.

Hope that helps a little.

Anything worth doing at all, is worth doing well.
- Philip Dormer Stanhope, Earl of Chesterfield

Return to posts index

Mike YasutakeRe: travelling to thailand
by on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:46:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed this is what I've been hearing as well. Travel small and light.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved