BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Price quote questions (first timer here)

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damein GreenPrice quote questions (first timer here)
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 10:01:54 pm

Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster.

This is actually going to be my first gig outside of my day job. I've got a potential client that's looking to have a mini-documentary produced. It will possibly be used to gather new business, but will feature more storytelling than "selling." It will be roughly 30 minutes of content, featuring a mix of interviews, b-roll, photos, etc. It will be pressed to DVDs and likely sold to whomever wants to purchase them. I have a couple of questions:

1. This will be my first project outside of the realm of producing TV spots. Should I just charge him by the hour, or charge by the hour + a percentage of the DVD sales?

2. How should I get this all in writing? While I don't *think* this company may be looking to "get over" on me, I would like to have my rear covered, LEGALLY in the event of any trouble.

I am gracious for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Price quote questions (first timer here)
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:39:12 pm

Keeping track of hours is a royal pain. Charge by the day, or at the very least half day.

With regard to the DVDs, I don't see why you'd be entitled to a royalty. You're being paid for your time, you're not a partner unless you're willing to defer part of your pay.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Price quote questions (first timer here)
by on Feb 13, 2012 at 11:12:02 pm

Sales...that's tough. Maybe as a bonus type of thing.

Recently I've had success to "paying per deliverable" with an opt-out after payment type of arrangement. It makes it easy also to explain to the client all the processes involved, starting with the script.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved