BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Creative Portfolio Website

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter HempenCreative Portfolio Website
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:53:23 am

Greetings to the COW!

I recently completed an updated demo reel and designed my own portfolio website that I'd like to get online.

I've heard that there are free hosting web servers for people like me (non-profit) who simply want to promote themselves.

Does anybody have any recommendations or advice on a good, free host site?

Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Return to posts index

Glen MontgomeryRe: Creative Portfolio Website
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:25:44 pm

You might want to look into cargo collective. I don't think you can upload your own site layout though, I think you have to use one of their themes. A free Wordpress account could do a lot for you but you lose out on the custom URL aspect. In terms of free for non-profit resources I am at a loss. Hosting is pretty cheap though, I think I am only paying three bucks a month for 10 GB of storage.

Editor / Motion Graphics Artist, Denver CO

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Creative Portfolio Website
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:34:18 pm

I use VIMEO, I like the community there.

Also, you can store your videos on Youtube (you must, anyway) and embed them in a wordpress site.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Grant WilberRe: Creative Portfolio Website
by on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:31:44 pm

If you just google 'free web hosting' theres a lot of sites out there that will provide it. They might run kinda slow so it's best keep them simple and link video through vimeo or youtube. When I first started and didn't wanna pay for hosting I used one of those sites. You might have to sign up to a few of them til you find one that works for you.

Also if you have TV the provider might give you web hosting space. I had cable and for a little while had my site running on that.

Return to posts index

R. Alan IngallsRe: Creative Portfolio Website
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:08:38 pm

If you are really serious about your work, it might pay to spend a little money on good, reliable hosting. Find an available domain you like (probably your name for a portfolio site, most likely it's not already taken), but the domain ( or for a bout 10 bucks a year. Get yourself some hosting from for about $8 a month or $80 a year (you get a bit of discount for paying yearly). Surely, you can't spend $90-$100 a YEAR for a good web host and web address. Most people spend that a month on their cell phone bill!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved