BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

anti piracy protest

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohenanti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:30:11 pm

Today numerous sites around the web are participating in a boycott of proposed anti-piracy legislation by the US government. While protecting IP is important, restricting access to websites appears to have pushed some buttons of large internet organizations and users.

No one is saying we should allow free downloading of copyrighted material, but I suppose the broad brush stroke of a law may possibly infringe upon someone's rights. And no doubt there are people who think it is a great idea. I don't know enough about the issue to make an opinion.

I'd link to the wikipedia entry about this bill but it is blacked out.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:50:00 pm

The legislation is badly written as-is, due to the influence of lobbyists, and it has potential for abuse due to poorly-defined limits and parameters. Some will say; "pass it as-is, and we'll patch it as we go along", but I think there is too much risk of setting bad precedent to take this so casually. No, better to build a bigger consensus first and write a law (if needed) that's well-designed and well-defined, *before* you move it ahead. I think this proposed law is thinly-concealed opportunism, trying to surf in on the nearly-spent wave of Bush-era paranoia and government power-grabbing in the name of "security". We should take a longer pause to reflect, and not work blindly.

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:41:18 pm

So I've read the proposed law. I can't find the sections where it's so bad. Any help in that matter, finding the sections in question, would be appreciated.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:H.R.3261:

Return to posts index

Eric SuschRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:54:07 pm

This might help:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111208/15442917016/constitutional-schola...

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:47:53 am

I see why this is so contentious. I skimmed the text of the legislation and it seems the things being quoted in the media about shutting down sites that link to other sites that link to other sites may be a suggestion of what would legally be possible if enough lawyers were given the opportunity to pursue such action. But it is possibilities of legal interpretation by district court judges that can turn a molehill into a mountain of legal wrangling.

Now I remember why I got a B in my Congressional Legislation course in college - it's boring stuff reading bills. I spent many long hours in the Trinity College library reading bills (this was before the internet).

I have found little on google about why one should support this bill but I'm sure there are some reasons.

Mike

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 3:52:14 pm

The "broad stroke" of the law is the problem. It's so broad that it's easier for sites to simply not provide information or shut down than to work within the law. Checking literally millions of links to ensure not a single one contains a copyright issue before presenting the results of a search for example, would be silly.

I found this article to be rather straightforward and in a nutshell: "Basically, under SOPA, an accusation of copyright violation is enough to allow the Department of Justice and any complainant who gets a court order, to shut down a website and websites that facilitate copyright infringement."

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/07/how-threatening-is-the-stop-online-...

So let's say the Creative Cow has one person who asks "How did they do this?" and they link to a YouTube video showing a clip of a popular film. That YouTube user has no permission to upload that clip and YouTube has no permission to show the clip. Under SOPA, the film owner can come after the Creative Cow for copyright infringement and obtain a court order to shut down the site until the legal matter is resolved. Multiply that single person by the thousand of people who post on the Cow every day and you have the potential for hundreds, maybe thousands of court orders to be filed against the Cow each week.

Let's say you search Google for "Fly Boys" and a single link in those thousands (millions?) of results contains a illegal posting of a clip from the feature film Fly Boys. The owner of the film can go after Google, obtain a court order to shut down the site until the legal matter is resolved. Multiple that single search by the millions of searches per day done on Google and you have the potential for thousand, maybe millions of court orders to be filed against Google each week.

Instead of going after just the website owner or the individual user who posted the illegal material, SOPA allows ANY and ALL websites that LINK to the "copyright infringed material" to be gone after in a court of law and allows the government to SHUT DOWN said sites until the legal matter is resolved.

I'm all about protecting copyright infringement, but this type of broad stroke legislation is just ridiculous and that's why so many folks are saying it will alter the internet as we know it today.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 8:34:44 pm

[walter biscardi] "Checking literally millions of links to ensure not a single one contains a copyright issue before presenting the results of a search for example, would be silly."

With respect, Walter, it would often be impossible.

Last I heard YouTube receives approximately 48 hours of material during every minute of every day. Examining that is simply beyond the range of real-world possibility.

Everyone is not YouTube. Still...

Return to posts index

Simon RoughanRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:03:04 pm

Here is the most sensible answer to internet piracy that I have heard of.
http://wiki.junkemailfilter.com/index.php/Alternative_to_SOPA_and_PIPA_-_Ma...
Everyone makes money, and no more $150,000 fines because some 13 year old downloaded some music.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:21:05 pm

In related news, the Supreme Court just basically ruled that Congress has the power to take media that has finally expired it's extended copyright... and RE-copyright it. Extending copyright from 50 years after the authors' death to 70 years just wasn't enough for some people with big round ears and a tail. Now, it's however long you can get a legislator to propose, based on how much money you can throw at them thrui a lobbyist.

I'm really starting to not like this current USSC.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: anti piracy protest
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:39:02 pm

[Mark Suszko] "
I'm really starting to not like this current USSC."

And you thought the Supreme Court's allowance of corporations and unions to use anonymous donors to do whatever they want with SuperPACS was a good idea? Hopefully Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert will begin to open a few eyes to just what a stupid idea that was -- no matter WHAT side of the political spectrum you favor.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: anti piracy protest / White House Opposes SOPA
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:08:02 pm

This just in..... Barack Obama will not support the current SOPA bill. Now maybe folks can go back and craft a law that is much more specific that all sides can agree on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa...

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: anti piracy protest / White House Opposes SOPA
by on Jan 19, 2012 at 4:50:13 am

Update - SOPA is basically dead as most of the sponsors pulled out and congressional websites were slammed with e-mail. Lamar claims he'll keep the bill alive anyway. But in an election year most elected supporters of the bill have realized their jobs were at stake if they continued support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]