BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Ways to maximise customers online media

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerWays to maximise customers online media
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:15:25 am

I've been trying to find good resources on online media marketing, AKA Video Marketing, with very little success. The books I've come across encompass online media as a way to market a brand (and scarcely at that), but no one resource just concentrates on how to market online with video.

In particular (if I could pick chapter headings), i'm after (all related to video only you understand):
- How to get the most out of YouTube/Facebook/Twitter
- Other online media platforms that can be utilised
- Using google adwords, facebook campaigns and other channels
- How to get your customers advert before a YouTube clip (you know the short ads that play before some video's on YouTube)
- How to best track the effectiveness of any video campaign

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure there is a lot more I want to know!

If anyone can direct me to some good resources or answer some of my questions on this thread, that would be brill!!

Happy New Year!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Mark SuszkoRe: Ways to maximise customers online media
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 8:10:26 pm

Surely you can ask YouTube and Google some of these things directly.

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Ways to maximise customers online media
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 8:37:51 pm

Believe me, I've done a lot of Googling, but there is a lot of crap out there and I tend to put more trust in the opinions of those on these forums.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Ways to maximise customers online media
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:20:24 pm

I can't imagine a scenario where you can't reach someone at Google to take your money for an adwords campaign and explain how it works to you.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2012 at 9:22:09 pm

Nor can I, although that is just one item on the list and I wondered if others here might add in their experiences, which there is no substitute for. A salesman, after all, has one wish and one wish only - to sell it to me!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Max KaiserRe: Ways to maximise customers online media
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 12:47:15 am

I feel your pain!

At Hand Crank we've been really trying to get into this stuff, and it is not that easy to find out about it.

The reason is that it literally changes every day. Youtube, Google and Facebook are changing their games about every other minute.

I pity the poor guy that writes the type of manual you mention because it would be long out of date by the time he saved.

Here is what we know now...

1) Using video ads via google is mostly handled through youtube now. Here, you have what are called trueviews and you have 4 different ways for your video to be displayed. On the side bar in search, as a choice for a customer about to watch a longer video, at the beginning of the video, and one other I cannot remember.
2) For awhile Google was offering "promoted videos" this was a great deal - it is gone now.
3) You pay per view - not per click as is the usual model for Google. You don't have to pay if they don't watch more than 30 seconds of it.
4) The metrics are pretty awesome as google is very good at doing the analytics. The user interface is sort of a bear to fathom as their are so many options. Google and Youtube have made some videos to try and help. Try this video to get you started -
5) Forget Facebook. You can't have video ads on there with less than a $25k/mo. media buy. Just talked to the lady there today. You can have videos streaming on your fan page, but that is very simple.

I hope any of this helps - and was actually what you were talking about. Would be cool to start a forum on this stuff as it really is confusing as hell and very much in its infancy.

Max Kaiser
Hand Crank Films

Still Rockin' FCP 7, thinking about Premiere
OS 10.7

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2012 at 12:08:44 pm

Thanks for your reply Max.

Really appreciate it!

You are right. It's a minefield as things change so quickly. I don't want to make my customers promises I cannot fulfil, but I want to give them the best advice. I am meant to be an expert after all!

There are lots of 'video seeding' and 'video platforms' out there, but they seem to be for the big boys. What I really want is a way of distributing the content to a local geographical area.

I've brought countless books on the subject but as I say, they are all limited in their exploration of the subject.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:17:28 pm

Also, I cannot for the life of me find an article that explains what value you should be looking to set the CPV (cost per view) for YouTube/Adwords campaigns. You can set it as low as a penny or high as you like I presume. But I can find no information on how to set an effective level.

Kind Regards,

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Ways to maximise customers online media
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 12:38:07 am

I have helped manage the adwords and now facebook advertising for our company for a few years, though nothing having to do with video. The real problem with google adwords is you are hoping someone will search for your keywords. With Facebook you can target a demographic, such as women who like cooking, Oprah, ultimate frisbee and who are members of XYZ organization, who have birthdays in July and who are unmarried and between the ages of 29-37 and who speak Pirate English. Facebook actually tells you how many people are in this target audience and then suggests a budget. It is pretty powerful but supposedly Facebook ads get washed up in about a week.

On google, the year I analyzed a whole year of performance, we spent about $X and made about $1.5X - that's just shy of breaking even. But at least we didn't lose money.

On my limited Facebook experiment, I invested $Y over two weeks and made $30Y. That's a great return, but it fizzled out after two weeks. Given the limited audience you reach the most reachable people out of the gate. And of the target audience that FB gives you, consider only about 10% of them even notice the ads.

So one can extrapolate that as difficult as it is to get someone to click your ad, it must be even more so to get someone to click your video. If posting videos on your own site, look into a video site map that google can see. If posting on youtube, vimeo or right here on the COW, you need to let other websites know that the video is available. There is so much saturation of video that just posting it and crossing your fingers does not work. Things only become viral if they are propagated, just like a real virus. Kids catch colds at school not just from showing up but from touching the LEGOs and tinkertoys after wiping their noses.

I just noticed that we do have a social media forum here - I will have to start visiting there too!

Good luck.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved