BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How are you sharing media & tracking project progress with your customers ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ran Pergamin
How are you sharing media & tracking project progress with your customers ?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:10:23 am

Hi,

Here is a quick question to the small/medium post production houses out there.

You all work on projects, some long, some short, you know where you start, you sometimes don't know when it ends, how much material is going to be generated, etc..

- How do you run the interaction & Ping-pong of feedback & media sharing with your customers ?

- How do you track the progress of the project & dead-lines, tied to the comments / requests / modifications ?

I noticed , for example, some PPs simply use FTP on their website, to have their customers download / upload media, & Than what ? Email exchange ?

Thanks
RP

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: How are you sharing media & tracking project progress with your customers ?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 7:04:44 pm

We've been using Media Batch for about 3 years and really LOVE the way it works and the options it gives -- not just viewing, the ability to turn off and on saving, hit counts, client notes area, on-screen mark-up, etc, etc. I believe that they also have a trial version, but not positive. Google Media Batch to find their website.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 9, 2011 at 8:02:49 pm

How long is the video?

I used Vimeo for this grinder (former) client, and he showed the video to everyone and wanted constant changes. I was stuck under a PO and a Service Agreement to make them until I delivered the DVD. Then when I delivered the DVD he called me a week later for more. Fortunately the Agreement read the contract terminated with the delivery of the DVD.

When he asked me to quote project 2 (mentioned below), I included all the compression and upload time as part of the deliverable. The price was out of his budget and he felt he could not do it without the approval process, so he said he "would do it himself in Adobe Pinnacle."

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 11, 2011 at 11:07:15 pm

The Media Batch demo looks great, Nick.

Are you using the full or "Lite" version?

I take it that the files are stored on your own server. I've been tempted to use YouTube or Vimeo in order to take advantage of their huge server farms (and the price is right). Do you find that your server can hold its own, performance-wise, with those alternatives?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 12, 2011 at 6:12:03 pm

Full version, Bob.
The fact of the matter is a single server is never going to be as fast or bullet-proof as a massive server farm. (I assume.) That said, our server is space on one of the bigger services and have found it quite reliable. Our web engineering guy set it up and then changed a few years later so frankly I'm not even sure which one we're on these days. He manages 7 different sites for us on behalf of clients and I tend not to be involved in the nitty gritty of how he makes the sausage.

The one and only downside to putting stuff up on a Media Batch site is that, in order to use the mark-up function where you can draw on the screen to indicate changes and leave time-specific markers with notes, I believe requires a Flash file. Although it will play any number of formats, only Flash (to the best of my non-sausage understanding) provides the extra functions and, as we all know, iPads and iPhones do not support Flash.

I may not have explained it well enough earlier but one of my favorite features is the ability to show/hide both the "save" and "hit counter" functions. It's always interesting to know exactly when somebody has (or has not) looked at a show as well as knowing that a video has gone through a company because it has 60-70 hits instead of one or two.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 12, 2011 at 8:42:47 pm

Thanks for sharing this tip. This service would have saved me a lot of time and money this year alone.

[Nick Griffin] "the mark-up function where you can draw on the screen to indicate changes and leave time-specific markers with notes,"

This feature sounds fantastic. A shame about the Apple/Flash divide.

Thanks Nick!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 12, 2011 at 9:35:23 pm

[Bob Cole] "This service would have saved me a lot of time and money this year alone."

In olden times we would be FedEx-ing DVDs followed by a series of long phone calls. In the really olden days it would have been a VHS tape. I don't miss this at all. FedEx probably does.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 13, 2011 at 8:29:20 am

[Bob Cole] "I've been tempted to use YouTube or Vimeo in order to take advantage of their huge server farms (and the price is right)."

I was encoding WMV's and uploading to my FTP site for a corporate client of mine, but they just set up a YouTube account specifically for uploading previews (at my suggestion). I'm cutting on FCPX and with the "Share to YouTube" functionality I can upload right from the timeline to YouTube without leaving FCPX. They add their edit comments right on YouTube and I upload the finals to another YouTube channel. Saves me several steps per video.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:25:47 pm

Our projects are gradually become lee "a video" and more "a package of services that all work together."

We try to get new clients up and running on Basecamp because that is a way to have files of any variety all in one easy to access location - does not require an FTP client - is good with firewalls - and allows the client to upload stuff back to us without using e-mail.

Those with which we use it see a big improvement in efficiency.

We previously used FTP and simply a down-load only password protected client site on our server.

As with any project, know thy client. For some, FTP is no problem, for others it is a foreign language.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Dec 19, 2011 at 3:14:12 pm

[Bob Cole] "I've been tempted to use YouTube or Vimeo in order to take advantage of their huge server farms (and the price is right)."

We are currently switching over to our new Vimeo Pro account. They have been switching their focus to help folks like us and I like what they have to offer for client reviews. Walter Biscardi is doing it to, here is what he wrote:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/17/874990

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]