BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Demo Reel: Mixing 30p with 24p

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Hempen
Demo Reel: Mixing 30p with 24p
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:47:18 am

Greetings,

I have "yet another demo reel question", and it seems that users on the Cow don't post actual Demo Reel questions in the Demo Reel forum...so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a refined demo reel, and have several clips of both 24p and 30p frame rates that I'd like to use in the same reel. I'm editing in PPro CS4 on a 29.97 drop frame timeline, which satisfies only half of my clips. I've interpreted the 24p to 29.97p via "Interpret Footage" on the project window, but obviously, things still look choppy.

What is the correct way of integrating both of these frame rates? Or I just, can't?

Thanks to all,

-Hunter Hempen

-----
Too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?
-Gaff
-----

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: Demo Reel: Mixing 30p with 24p
on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:13:18 pm

My first reaction would be to use the lowest frame rate of your sources. If that's 24P, then make your project 24P. It's easier to "throw out" frames than make new ones.

If you are half-and-half, then this makes sense. If you told me I have 2 clips that are 24P and 8 that are 30, then I would convert the 2 and create a 29.97 project.

Ed

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 23, 2011 at 4:35:33 pm

I'm gonna have to very respectfully disagree with Ed... you'll get better results if your "master" video is at the highest framerate of your sources, not the lowest... i.e., if you have some 60i footage and some 24p footage, your whole project should be 60i. That's because while it's of course possible to convert 24p to 60i (and retain exactly the same look), it is impossible to convert 60i to 24p and have it still look like the source.

I'll only say it can be done, but I can't tell you how... because obviously you're working in a FCP world and I work in Premiere. It's easy enough in Premiere, just put your 24p footage on a 24p timeline and export a new clip with the parameters you want (such as 60i), and it converts perfectly, and creates the proper 3:2 "pulldown."

We do this all the time, because I'm having to mix 24p and 60i on reels. Furthermore, we produce almost everything at 24p... but broadcasters only accept 60i footage (and we mostly produce broadcast commercials), so we are constantly taking 24p commercials and re-outputting them as 60i. It should look perfect.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do it in Final Cut... but I'm sure it can be done, so keep looking... you shouldn't have to settle for that "choppy looking" video. Done right, it will look exactly like your source, just in actuality with a different frame rate. Maybe someone in a FCP forum can help.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:34:40 pm

Todd, no problem with disagreeing with me. Actually he is editing in Premiere, so the solution you provided should work for him.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:00:40 pm

Duh... you're absolutely right, Ed. I didn't notice him saying PPro, my brain thought I saw "ProRes" in there somewhere, which automatically made me believe he was working in FCP.

My bad, I should have read closer.

At any rate... after re-reading... the fault lies with him doing the "interpret footage" step. He should not do that. That's trying to convert one frame rate to another within a timeline of the new framerate. It will do that, but not look good. The footage should be put on a timeline with the same framerate as the footage... and output a new file from there at the new framerate. That will look perfect. Alternately, the can throw 24p the footage over into AfterEffects and output a new clip at 60i. Same results.

Not exactly a business or marketing question, but I hope it helps.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]