BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

If you are in Chicago this weekend, check out some amazing compositing at Navy Pier

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
If you are in Chicago this weekend, check out some amazing compositing at Navy Pier
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:28:39 am

I was going to post this in the Motion Graphics forum, but it seems to be... missing. Anyhow, it does tangentially have some business association to it, as it is a guy creating a new kind of business out of his video skills.

The wife and I attended the SOFA sculpture and art show running at Chicago's Navy Pier this weekend. While it's worth it just to see the millions of dollars worth of exquisite fine art alone, I saw something there that relates to our biz and it blew. me. away. One sample:

http://www.stevematsonart.com/ART/Another_Day_in_Paradise.html

Steve's a digital matte artist with a resume including matte paintings for Star Wars, Polar Express, and more. What he's done here is create a looping comp, hundreds of layers deep, that you hang on the wall like a conventional painting or other art installation. You really have to stand there in person to appreciate the full effect of this ever-evolving "living painting", with accompanying nat sound track. And wear comfy shoes, because the thing will root you to the spot for many minutes, taking in all the little nuances. This is NOT just a "screen saver". This is a peek at where some of the talented compositors in our industry may be taking commercial art of the future.

(P.S. Tim... I think this art would make an excellent piece for the magazine, if Steve would give up some of his secrets in the 8-month long process he took to create it)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: If you are in Chicago this weekend, check out some amazing compositing at Navy Pier
on Nov 7, 2011 at 7:44:55 pm

That is some really amazing work. Thanks for sharing, Mark.

(Tangentially, it seems the Motion Graphics forum is still here, but it's now called the After Effects Techniques forum. Old habits die hard, though, so I'm still using the Broadcast Design forum link.)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: If you are in Chicago this weekend, check out some amazing compositing at Navy Pier
on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:44:42 pm

AE IS the Big Gun for compositing... but it's not the only platform. Motion Graphics can encompass a wider variety of techniques and tools than just AE. That's why I liked the more generic category name. I cede the remainder of my time, Mister Chairman.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 8, 2011 at 4:04:01 am

I'm wondering if Motion Graphics will experience an additional boost from Apple offering Motion 5 for just $49 via the App Store.

I've been going through the Ripple Tutorials on it and I have to say I'm pretty astonished at what it can do at that price.

Particularly since it's now kind of a "bolt on" integrated right into FCP-X.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]