BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

our crazy business

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelinour crazy business
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 11:05:10 pm

AVID certainly deserves it's day in the sun today with the release of Media Composer 6, and its support of every FCP capture card out there. 2011 has been a crazy year for technology - everything from the April 2011 NAB releases from Blackmagic, the FCP-X shakeup, the impending doom of the Mac Pro, Thunderbolt, and now Media Composer 6 (and lets not forget the Adobe acqusition of Automatic Duck, and the migration of many users to Premier).

Is is just me, or is your head about to explode from all of this, in such a short period of time. And oh yea, you still can't get SR tape ! Many people are starting to reserve their hotel rooms for NAB 2012. I am thinking about reserving a hospital room for myself.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 12:02:49 am

Mr. Zelin

As always, you hit the nail on the head.

2011 has to go down in history as THE most tumultuous year in post EVER!

Plenty of change. Plenty of opportunity. Plenty of uncertainty.

I abandoned "plan A, B, C, and D" months ago. Improv is good. Instinct is good. Doing nothing is good.
But, as you point out, with NAB just around the corner, next year is when all the action will take place.

I'm looking forward to a very exciting year next year. Some of the dust will have settled and we can focus again more on the "show" and less on the "business".

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 1:16:14 am

Not to mention that Lion is an OS that has an uncertain future on the desktop. Actually the Mac Pro towers are in jeopardy.

We are just getting ready to pull the switch to Snow Leopard from Leopard on 6 edit systems with FCP and CS 5.5. Feel like I'm a decade behind.

Good to see Avid has stepped up to support the IP cards however.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:32:10 am

I don't know about you but I'm having a lot of fun of late. All that hardware I've invested money and time in are now support by three non linear editing systems instead of just one. And I'm no longer committed to Apple desktop towers, Adobe and Avid are cross platform. So for the first time ever I'm considering Windows 7 workstations and have gotten some really great configuration suggestions from a colleague.

We've been testing MC6 with the Konas for a while now and it just works and works brilliantly. I've heard from folks running the BMD boards that they just work as well. I'm still quite rusty on Avid since it's been some time, but it's obvious they moved the application to 64bit with new improved features yet keeping the app continuity for long time users. So now instead of wondering when (if) Apple will ever make a product I can use, I now have two other professional NLEs that are both running in our shop using almost all of our current hardware

As for everything else, I think the tsunami and now flooding have shown the electronics / computing world that manufacturing needs to be spread out a bit to help ensure the supply chain doesn't suddenly get knocked out of whack. The silver lining of the SR tapes still being in short supply meant that some networks started allowing digital delivery of shows which cuts costs associated with the tapes and mastering.

So yeah, it's been a crazy year with more changes in less than 12 months for Post than I have ever seen. But of course, the only constant in life is change, so keep smiling and have fun. And get that hotel room in Vegas!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:43:40 pm

[walter biscardi] "I think the tsunami and now flooding have shown the electronics / computing world that manufacturing needs to be spread out a bit"

Ain't THAT the truth.

We'd been planning on building some additional RAIDS this year. Even though we don't need them yet, we went ahead and ordered all the drives late last week because the prices on them were going up by the day... actually, sometimes MORE than once a day.

That being said... I'm with Walter, it's been a fun year. We're hoping next year is even more fun, which I think it will be since it's a political year and we do tons of candidate advertising. The auteur side of me used to hate doing political advertising since it's just not much fun and can sometimes get ugly. But then the business side of me finally realized they are often the perfect clients... they never care one whit about what anything costs ("Just get it done!"), sometimes don't even ask about budgets, and pay really fast (because they have to... election laws and all).

Business is always crazy... though at times more than others.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:36:45 pm

I like that Avid finally that competing is in order to stay in bidness. Just sold me Avid system. lol
Let that be a lesson... when we want viable upgrade paths, just sell your gear and sure enough, they'll pull their heads out.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:00:07 pm

[Bob Zelin] "(and lets not forget the Adobe acqusition of Automatic Duck"

They didn't buy the Duck. They hired Wes. Automatic Duck is still a separate company. But one that did a FANTASTIC thing of making all it's plugins available for FREE. Not shutting down and pulling them down...but releasing them into the wild...sans support. The classiest move I have seen in a while.

Definitely a rollercoaster ride of a year. And s good year to be on our toes when it comes to knowing all the options that exist out there.

Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: our crazy business
by on Nov 7, 2011 at 3:41:52 pm

[Shane Ross] " The classiest move I have seen in a while."

I agree.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved