BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Creating National Ad Spot

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg BallCreating National Ad Spot
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 5:56:13 pm

I have a potential client (an arts school) looking for us to create an ad spot for them. The question I have is the deliverables. They say they want this ad to run nationally. So we'll shoot it and edit it, but what do we offer them as a final format?

Second, I assumed it was a local TV ad, but now that it would be national, how does that change things? Does my voice announcer get more money? Would you charge more for a national ad?

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Creating National Ad Spot
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:48:50 pm

I personally don't charge any more for a regional ot national ad vs. A local one, and I don't know any other production companies that do either. Production rates are rates... no matter where they air.

BUT you'd figure that a national spot would/could have a significantly higher budget to start with than just a local mom-n-pop spot.

As for your voice talent, that is another story. You will just have to ask him or her what their rate is for a national spot. Most all of the folks we deal with would definitely charge us substantially more for something national. Union rules will come in to play as well, if your talent is SAG/AFTRA.

Same goes for music.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Creating National Ad Spot
by on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:08:03 pm

but what do we offer them as a final format?

It depends if this is a HD or SD spot.

If SD every station should Beta SP. How you lay it on the tape will very. Some stations don't care other want the bars and tone and slate to be a specific length of time.

If HD, every station I've worked with will let you deliver the spot digitally but they vary on the codecs they will except. For the stations we usually deal with they all take the same codec so we just need to upload it to each station.

Bottom line, you will need to check with each station and see what they will except. Or you can hire a company that specializes in sending spots to TV stations, but we found it is much cheaper to do it ourselves. Hope this is of some help and have lots of fun on this spot.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved