BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DavidsonThe latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:18:59 pm

Hey guys,
For a long time we've been using iWeb to post our client submission videos on our own site, but in the last year it's just become tiresome to deal with (especially since Apple EOL'd it). SO, I'd love to hear what you're using to handle things like customized, password protected sites for clients. In a perfect world we could create client specific, project specific sites that show version histories as well as a quick list of client notes. If clients want to provide feedback on the page, that's great as well (but not required).

I know a few years ago you guys had been throwing around a few different programs, but I'm curious if there are any new programs out there that handle this in a better, more automated way. For example, if we need to upload a new version for a client, we export it from FCP, drag onto a droplet, and boom - the program creates a specific page with link to a password protected site. Does this exist yet?

Thanks!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 9:59:05 pm

I certainly wouldn't claim any expertise in this area and have done no exhaustive research. But it's mostly because we've been so happy for the past couple of years with Marco Solorio's MediaBatch. No, it's not quite as simple as the drag and drop approach John wants but there are any number of things it does quite well.

When videos are converted to Flash the player enables you -- or your client -- to set markers at various points, attach lengthy notes to the markers and even draw on screen with a rudimentary set of drawing tools. It's an extremely convenient way of communicating. It's also possible to upload other formats of video and audio, but I don't believe they offer the draw-on feature.

There's also a separate notes area for each video and a "pass" button which brings up a "Pending / Approved / Needs Revision / Declined" window also with a spot for notes.

MediaBatch enables you as Administrator to allow or disallow viewing, saving and client uploading with a single click for each. Also quite cool (and quite useful for checking up on clients) is the ability to allow users to see or NOT see a hits counter. We routinely leave it's visibility off so only we know when a client has actually looked at something or not, or has had a few dozen people look at at.

If something better comes along, I might consider it. But for now I'm happy enough with MediaBatch that I'm not looking.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 5, 2011 at 10:03:43 pm

Does it work with iOS devices? It looks interesting, but my clients are usually traveling and on iPhones or iPads, so flash would be a deal killer.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 6, 2011 at 1:31:35 am

Obviously the Flash part does not with iDevices. But virtually all clients at desktops have no problems with the Flash files. They can still see the QT ones however.

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:20:22 pm

Right now we are using Dropbox. It is very simple to throw a video into the public folder where it generates a unique URL (like you mentioned). No fancy notes, etc. but it gives you a URL even before the video fully loads, so if it is pretty big you can send the email and leave for the day while it finishes up.

Right now, we are considering a switch to Vimeo Pro. It sounds as though they do a lot of what you are asking for, and vimeo is accessable on iOS devices. Neither of these options though, as far as I know, have password protection. We work with small businesses so a unique URL is enough to keep it out of anyone's gaze.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 6, 2011 at 8:54:32 pm

We use Basecamp - each major project gets a Basecamp project - only invited users both internally and externally can access a project. It displays images within the site, but media you have to download.

What this system does for us is eliminates endless emailing of attachments, and provides a user friendly way for clients to upload and download files. One things that continues to be true is that in the corporate and health sectors, personal computers and the people using them are slightly less sophisticated than in the consumer world (ie, no support for Quicktime, limited support for MP4, limited support of streaming and chat and skype and IM and anything that is not a Word doc in some cases!) So we need to make things simple for our customers.

We use YouSendit for obtaining large files from the field and for propagating files to those not on a BaseCamp project.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 9, 2011 at 4:08:54 am

Very interesting. I'll keep my eye on basecamp. I think for my needs it may be slightly overkill, but perhaps my needs will change.

I like the simplicity of dropbox (and we use it often!) but we need password protection and things like that.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 9, 2011 at 2:00:09 pm

Been using Vimeo Plus for the past few years for client review videos and they have been very happy. Simple website link, password and they play the video. No knowledge needed whatsoever. Before that we were using FTP links and that was becoming a problem for some to figure out.

Now with the new Vimeo Pro it's even better because I can set up a Portfolio for each client. So they just need to bookmark one site, one password and they can see all of their own videos. At the same time, each individual video in the portfolio can have its own password so if they want to share that video with someone else to review, they can without giving away the main password to everything else. They are LOVING this.

It does exactly what you ask, it leaves all the videos on that site until you take them down. Pro gives you 50GB of storage at any given time. Even our full half hour shows are only 500MB or smaller at full resolution so you have lots of room for a lot of videos.

And yes, the videos play on iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad. Vimeo automatically encodes the videos to support them. Great for clients who are traveling or who like their iPad over computers.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

by on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:21:33 pm

You know what....I'm going to do it. I've resisted because Vimeo is a little squirrely in my experience, but for $200/yr I guess I could do worse. Maybe they put a priority download on the pro stuff.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: The latest and greatest project management and web posting platforms
by on Oct 9, 2011 at 6:40:57 pm

When you have the Plus or Pro accounts, your uploads are processed pretty much immediately. When you have the free account, you have to "get in line" with everyone else who is uploading.

The $200/year a thing was the no brainer for me too. :)

Also, when you get your account set up, note that you can customize the Portfolios for your various clients. For me, each client sees their own logo when they log into the portfolio. Small touch, but they like that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

by on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:44:58 am

I like the custom client logo. I think this will be a great way to get the process consistant. Another cool thing - it looks like I can build a CNAME reference to point subdomains each clients playlist. There's a chance clients won't even know they're on vimeo! I'll post back the results of that when I can figure it out.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2011 at 12:02:16 am

I have to say - some of the features are great - and I understand it's a relatively new service that just needs time (here it comes) BUT, there are some major limitations to it right now. You can't save theme customizations, the themes are hard to manage and are clunky to work with, and video management is difficult and somewhat abysmal. I'm uploading hundreds of spots and want to make many portfolios, all of which have to be exactly the same for consistancy across my site. When I can't save a theme style, it's literally dozens and dozens of clicks and pages to just set up one single portfolio to be the same. Some things like searching through videos just don't work. It seems like there's no real support either - just lots of 'we'll think about adding that' comments in their forums.

I'm going to stick with it for now, but I can't recommend it officially yet. Not for $200, especially when YouTube is free and seems much more capable of handling larger playlists. The experience kind of leaves me wondering if Vimeo is only staffed by about 3 people in a shed somewhere. Vimeo Pro is not going to work for people with hundreds of videos to manage. Right now it's sole benefit is for individual project review - but of course you can only put comments on the review page and not the portfolio, and they don't have a screening page showing all portfolios, which seems like it would have been an obvious componant.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonVimeo Update
by on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:43:27 pm

We got it working somewhat on our site now. If you want to check it out just google me. It's not 100% perfect, but we figured out a way to incorporate it without an issue as an iFrame and masking over some of the dead space their theme created. I'm much happier now!

Ironically, our first submission to a client via Vimeo was rejected because a client couldn't see it. So we're doing submissions the old way, but using vimeo as a backup to that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]