BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Which skill: Web Design or VFX

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic TanWhich skill: Web Design or VFX
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:08:41 pm

I desperately wanted to get into editing but I am having little success in getting employment.

So anyway, in order to increase my chances of getting employment, I am looking to expand my skillset into other areas; either web design or VFX (i.e. After Effects, etc), and i am just wandering which skill out of these two are more saught after and/or receives higher rates???

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Which skill: Web Design or VFX
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:56:40 pm

Money will depend on the market you are targeting and your negotiations skills.

VFX will get you well paid jobs, but you'll need to pay for expensive equipment and software. Great web design can be made with free tools and a cheap computer, so maybe a little job can get you fast and easy money.

You create your own job, my grandpa used to say.

Return to posts index

Scott CarnegieRe: Which skill: Web Design or VFX
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:47:19 pm

There is much more demand or web design, less for vfx. You can get paid more for Vfx, but I know people that have done vfx for films like Superman returns and the money is not super great, long long hours for staff pay.

If I were to choose between the 2 I would go for web design since there is so much more market out there and places to work, or you can even go on your own.

In fact designing custom Wordpress Themes seems to be a decent business right now.

Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Which skill: Web Design or VFX
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:36:25 pm

As much competition as there is in the VFX world, there is way more in web design. Whichever way you go, the only way to stand out enough to make it bankable, IMO, is to stake out a really specific and demanding niche. In web, it might be in very high end animation or VR type applications, or features that update dynamically. Nobody is makign money any more just making standard web pages for people.

In VFX, there are levels of skill. In the stratospheric levels, those guys are never hurting for work and it pays well. The low level guys will always be struggling on pricing due to pressure from below from amateurs with cheap tools and lots of time to waste. The middle layer of VFX people can make a living but need to spend the most time marketing to communicate their talent level to paying customers. Again, generalists will make less in this realm than someone who is a real master at one particulalr thing. Right now that might be 3-D. Or really good, creative modeling and rigging, which never goes out of style.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved