BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

freelance editors...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucasfreelance editors...
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 12:05:00 am

Was just interested in asking around. Are there any freelance editors on here who wouldn't mind sharing the steps they took to become one? I've thought about moving slowly in that direction, but I really don't know where to start.

Tucker Lucas
Production Manager
Heartland Poker Tour

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: freelance editors...
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:46:00 am

It may depend on your background. What is it, both work history and specialties?

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: freelance editors...
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:29:01 pm

Become a freelance or become an editor?

Return to posts index

Andrew RendellRe: freelance editors...
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:04:50 pm

I became an editor by being trained to do it at the BBC (in London, UK); expanded my experience by leaving the BBC and joining an independent facility company as a staff editor; left that job to become freelance.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: freelance editors...
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:58:34 pm

Do you mean freelance in terms of coming into someone's facility on an as-needed basis for a specific project, instead of salaried full-time Monday to Friday? In that kind of case, a freelancer has to charge more than a full-timer, because he's carrying more of the costs on his own back, and because being on-call carries an opportunity cost. Since you cost more, you had better be worth more. In terms of speed, or quality, or customer relations, or all of those. For a facility owner, you're worth bringing in if he's in a time crunch and just needs to throw more bodies at a job, or if you have skills his full-times lack, but they don't need to do that particular thing very often, like maybe CGI work or roto. Or music composition or interactive DVD authoring, that kind of thing. SO do you have a unique post skill? Besides photoshop and compositing, which these days are the minimum to be hired.

Return to posts index

Andrew RendellRe: freelance editors...
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:46:07 pm

I work AT facilities quite often, but very rarely FOR a facility, I'm usually employed by a production company. On the occasions that I'm employed by a facility it's usually in a "we need another pair of hands in a hurry" kind of situation, production companies are more "we need someone with these particular skills for the duration of this project", so I usually get to feel more of a member of the team at a production company than at a facility.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved