BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Wedding Videographers shooting a Music Video?!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shane jenny
Wedding Videographers shooting a Music Video?!
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:54:46 pm

First of all, and I've said this before, but I am immensely grateful for the help I've received from this forum.

Like the subject says, we are a group of wedding videographers who have been asked to shoot a music video. I come from a professional music background so the music world isn't foreign to me. What is foreign is pricing something like this out. I don't know how much time it will take to shoot/edit a music video nor do I have any type of real grasp on the scope of the project. The client is a client of a very successful music producer here in San Diego and I know I'll have more projects sent my way if I take care of one of his important clients.

Any and all help/advice would be so appreciated. How do I do this guys? What do I need to find out from the client? How do I calculate pricing on this?

"Just along for the ride"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Wedding Videographers shooting a Music Video?!
on Sep 11, 2011 at 7:10:11 pm

[shane jenny] "I don't know how much time it will take to shoot/edit a music video nor do I have any type of real grasp on the scope of the project."

You can't even guesstimate unless you have a scope and/or treatment. It could be anything from a "one day wonder" to weeks of work with detailed FX. In lieu of that detail you'd need to offer an hourly rate for the different tasks ranging from editing, fx work, audio mixing and sweetening.

You must discuss the scope of the project. Perhaps they want it too look like one of your wedding montages and that's why they came to you. Then you'd know exactly what you'd need to do and how long. You won't know what they want until you discuss it with them though.

Return to posts index

shane jenny
on Sep 11, 2011 at 7:33:36 pm

So I should probably start off by figuring out what his budget is then go from there huh?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:05:22 pm

You know your day rate, right? So, how many hours will the shooting take? How much gear will you need to rent? How many hours will the edit take? The edit time question is the really big unknown here. You could offer one estimate for the preproduction and shooting, and one separate one for the edit.

You really need a scope document or a Creative Treatment, some kind of document that lays out what the visuals are to be. Not necessarily word-for-word, but it should be detailed enough of a description that everybody knows what to expect. Like: "The drum solo will show the drummer sitting on top of a mountain using a greenscreen effect". "The chorus is made from inter-cut scenes of the same lyric sung in five locations." "The entire video is shot in time-lapse, with the audio synched to the lips."

In the edit suite is not the time you want to hear these things for the first time.

Return to posts index

shane jenny
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:26:38 pm

That's great advice. I've never needed to put together a Creative Treatment for a wedding, and to be honest that is the first time I've heard that term.

Is their a online resource where I can see what one looks like for a music video, or a step by step guide to going through one with a client?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:28:06 pm

Yes to both budget and scope although arriving at the destination for each client.

Some are willing to start with a budget limitation and then the scope can be drawn with that in mind. Sometimes the scope may be done and then you must inform the client what it will cost to get there.

Then you need to decide if an overly ambitious scope needs to be simplified or they're willing to expand the budget if they are exciting about achieving the scope.

Assuming you are charging a profitable rate for your weddings, you know what you need to make in a day or week to make the project worthwhile for you.

Return to posts index

shane jenny
on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:55:14 pm

Great stuff gentlemen.

Is their a creative treatment template that I can take a look at somewhere out there? I definitely feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew, but I truly believe in the saying "fake it till you make it."

I guess I now need help in the concepting process and how to work with the client in coming up with ideas. Do I take him out for coffee?

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

shane jenny
on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:36:16 pm

Thanks Craig!

I haven't contacted the client yet. What's the first step I should take? Should I treat him out to coffee?

I know, I'm as green as they come but I really want to do this right.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 12, 2011 at 8:54:43 pm

[shane jenny] "Should I treat him out to coffee? "

Sure but in the music video industry sometimes it's other things . . . but don't go there.
Get him talking about what he has in mind and take notes. From there you should have good info to formulate a scope and a budget and then hone based on expectations and budget limitations.

Return to posts index

shane jenny
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:47:00 pm

I don't even wanna know!

So, to be clear, YES on taking him out to coffee. Take some notes. Leave the meeting saying that I'll get a creative treatment together or a scope document (?). Email the client the treatment and then set a date to shoot?

I'm dead serious, I'm this green.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:53:27 pm

Bring a laptop and wireless internet connection; you can show each other youtube clips of things you like and hate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]