BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave BrekartFreelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:23:01 pm

What's the best system for working with a client for whom I'm building a YouTube channel (editing and uploading)?

He's asking me to add/edit small things, and there's not really an efficient way for him to review my work before uploading it to YouTube. I understand that he needs it the way he needs it, and it'd be perfect if he was looking over my shoulder in person.

Of course for me, this means going back into FCP, exporting, converting to H264, then re-uploading... pain in the arse.

Interested in seeing how other editors handle this. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:35:50 pm

Create another youtube account in your name just for video previews.

Create Vimeo account in your name just for video previews.

Create your own website just for video previews.

Use "You send it" or "drop box" or others.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dave BrekartRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:56:45 am

Thanks Chris - I guess creating the alternate vimeo/youtube accounts isn't really solving the problem... I'm trying to find the most efficient ways to have the client preview the piece, and I'd still have to convert the files to upload them to those sites

Dropbox makes sense (just export from FCP and drop em in the box)...I'll probably need to buy an account for extra space (only have like 3GB now)... was hoping someone had another brilliant solution...

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:25:53 am

Compressing for web for client preview is what most of us do - daily.

We use Episode for compression and throw it up on our website and send the client the link. Get feedback and do it again until the edit is locked. Get yourself some server space for a few dollars a month and serve your clients efficiently.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Greg BurrusRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:11:40 am

You could use a online proofing system to let the client review the video before you upload them. I have used http://www.proofhq.com/ for work I've done with people who eventually put their videos on youtube and other places. The ability to do comments at a certain point in time and mark parts of the screen work well. There's no free plan anymore (which doesn't have enough space for video any way), so depending on the plan you only get so much space. But if you want to give the client a view of it with compression it might work out for you.

Adobe also has a service like this built into premier pro that was free with CS5, not sure if it still is though.

http://mogra.g2bproductions.com/ - Blog
http://g2bproductions.com/ - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Steve KownackiRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:23:14 pm

While that is a pain, it's less painful when you are paid for your time and you anticipate several changes; this allows you to buy a 2nd computer for render horsepower.

You didn't mention how long your programs are?

Some ideas:
YouTub allows non-public settings, he just needs to log in and review or you send the private link.
Don't encode at such high quality for smaller file sizes
Only upload the segments that changed, this may be :10 rather than 10 min.
Does FCP/ichat allow screen sharing?
Point your webcam at the screen for realtime viewing

And no offense, but does your client have clear expectations before you start editing? Lots of small tweaks are often caused by lack of their input or dedicated time in pre-production or you permitting revision after revision.

Steve

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:34:00 pm

I use Vimeo Pro and it has an option to change the privacy of a video. You can simply add a password and it will not be listed, it will appear only as a direct link requesting the password for access.

Maybe Youtube has a similar option.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:57:59 pm

Youtube DOES have a private mode setting, it is pretty plainly marked in your interface on the page. Only people with the exact URL can see the clip that's been marked "private". When that's approved, uncheck Private and change it to Public, no need to re-upload.

Return to posts index

Scott SheriffRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:06:47 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Youtube DOES have a private mode setting, it is pretty plainly marked in your interface on the page. Only people with the exact URL can see the clip that's been marked "private". When that's approved, uncheck Private and change it to Public, no need to re-upload."

It has that feature, or it can be set to allow only other YT users to see it. The client will have to have a YT account, and you 'allow' them access. As long as they are signed in, they can see the video.

As far as having to re-encode your work over and over as changes are made, this is something you should be billing for unless it was something that was your fault.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:11:20 pm

We mostly do broadcast commercials, although some of it does wind up on YouTube or on clients' websites. Either way, we are in the same situation, often clients want to review work at the comfort of their own place rather than come into our studio... some want to do that even though they are less than a couple of minutes away from us. (Conversely, many of them want to come here, even from far away... gets them out of the office, I suppose... and they like the "edit suite" or "screening room" experience.)

We usually just make little low-res .wmv files (or whatever format they can easily watch), throw them on our server, and email them a link. I don't usually give them big full-resolution files to watch at that point. Usually the small files are more than good enough for them to judge content, composition, edits, and all that good stuff. And they hardly take any time to make.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:26:07 pm

If your using FCP7 and Snow Leopard you can use Ichat to have a remote viewer watch what you are doing, as you do it. No posting or encoding, they can either watch the output of your timeline as you play it, or actually watch your whole editing screen. It's possible to do something like this using Skype as well.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Freelance/Mobile Editors: Clients asking for YouTube revisions
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:22:14 pm

I never post to youtube until it's approved. I upload files onto my site for approval, utilize yousend it, or use password protected vimeo uploads for approvals.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]