BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Cold a company or freelancer?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael LorusheCold a company or freelancer?
by on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:38:39 am

So I've decided that i want to give cold calling a try.

I've done a fair bit of research on the subject both online and through people I personally know who do it (in other industries). I've established 3 particular corporate client types I want to target. The one thing I'm unsure about however is whether I should be calling as a freelancer or from a company.

On the one had, calling as a freelancer may give me the opportunity to set myself apart from other sales callers and allow me to establish a more personal relationship with the potential client. On the other hand, calling as representative of a company would probably come across as being more professional.

What do you guys think?

Michael Lorushe - Freelance Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Cold a company or freelancer?
by on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:03:04 pm

Um, first off, having done phone and in-person sales, cold-calling sucks. If you've never done it before and are gonna try doing it cold, lots of luck. The point is just to get the appointment, right? Well, tell the person on the other end of the phone exactly what you are doing - no salesman BS or anything. Why? They don't know you from anyone so you need to make yourself stand out and nobody likes sales people. So, don't be a salesperson, be an individual who wants to know about the company. Be yourself (which is terrible advice) as much as possible.

Now, I'm a little concerned you picked only 3 clients. Why? Cold calling will give you 1-2% or LESS response (that's from an experienced cold-caller). Only 3 clients will just frustrate you. Trust me, broaden your scope.

Jonathan Ziegler

Return to posts index

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Cold a company or freelancer?
by on Aug 17, 2011 at 5:08:59 pm

Forgot to mention: I've met the vast majority of my current clients in person or through someone else's formal intro (outside the business, at a networking event, through a friend, etc.). A handshake works wonders. We talk about everything but video. I ask about their company and spend an hour talking about it. Then, I tell them about some ideas I have for their business (hey, how about blah, have you tried that? Oh? It's really neat and it would work great for you...). Next thing you know, we're talking numbers and ideas and scheduling.

Jonathan Ziegler

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Cold a company or freelancer?
by on Aug 17, 2011 at 7:29:17 pm

How is a freelancer not also a company? A company of one, but still... Or do you have no formal business identity of your own yet, not even a DBA, an LLC , anything? You may want to be working on that as you research the market, so you are ready to seize on opportunities that pop up.

Return to posts index

grinner hesterRe: Cold a company or freelancer?
by on Aug 18, 2011 at 1:47:42 pm

You'll be better off spending that time marketing yourself in a way that brings clients to you rather than you going to them. Calling them can pester and it says "I'm at least deperate enough to spend the morning calling strangers so I don't mind haggling my rate."
Look, when slow, we all turn over every stone we can. The key is to have many familiar stones all around you at all times... before going freelance.

Return to posts index

Michael LorusheRe: Cold a company or freelancer?
by on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:47:22 pm

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved