BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Vimeo Pro now hosts video for small businesses

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Vimeo Pro now hosts video for small businesses
on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:28:07 pm

I do a lot of work for small businesses and have been getting increasing requests to post lectures and such online that far exceed the length restraints on YouTube (and they don't have the ability to host them on their own server). Other companies out there have had offerings, but the price has been a big issue for these smaller guys.

Vimeo has offered the tools and the price, but no commercial, marketing, advertising, etc. videos have been aloud. Today Vimeo Pro will launch with, what looks like a very capable offering and price structure. The site won't be up until around noon but here are a couple articles I found on it.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-20086139-2/vimeo-goes-pro/?part=rss&sub...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11080105vimeoprolaunch.asp

Does anybody else see this as a good tool for small business clients, or are there some reservations about it?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Vimeo Pro now hosts video for small businesses
on Aug 1, 2011 at 7:16:08 pm

The issue I have with Vimeo is that their streaming/playback sucks. Even with a fast internet connection I can get lagging playback and a buffer that doesn't keep up. No issue with other video sites. I have also had complaints from others when I send them Vimeo links.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:21:29 pm

Jeff, I think this is great news. I have preferred Vimeo for some time now, mainly for non profit work. The ability to specify a JPG for the thumbnail is a great advantage over Youtube's braindead thumbnails. I will certainly expand my use of Vimeo because of this. Vimeo's channels are much more flexible than Youtube, and their groups are more interesting. I rate them 5 stars. Youtube still has the larger user base, so I often post to both.

Jason, I don't seem to get any worse downloads with vimeo than Youtube. I add instructions to my clients to simply start the video, pause it without closing the browser and wait for the download. I've not seen any independent tests that show that Vimeo is any worse or better than YT. Have you?

From what I know, the herky jerky nature of the videos happen even when I was using Cablemodem speeds. Recently, I trialed cablemodem at 5Mbs and found that switching over to 5MB DSL got better performance on downloads during peak hours, especially with Netflix. But the problems can be found out on the internet, in the structure of the net. I live a long way from the nearest city, and our peninsula has a limited amount of fibre optic bandwidth to it, so I guess the bottlenecks come when too many people are trying to get out of the peninsula. And while I have 5 Mb DSL the actual throughput making it to the test stations (using Speedtest.net) shows results to Lynnwood WA from the Olympic Peninsula to be between 2.5 Mbs and 4.5 Mbs, the latter at low useage times (early AM). Perhaps, if you are working in Silicon Valley, where the bandwidth is huge, and YouTube servers close by, you might see greatly improved throughput and less herky jerky. I don't know where Vimeo servers are located, or whether they are optimized for global caching, like I assume YouTube servers are.

Alf

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:34:13 pm

Hi Alf,

Born and raised in Western Washington, here, but sadly I've never once made it out to the Olympic Peninsula in 39 years!

Regarding Vimeo; I don't know what the problem is. I've got 10Mb Fios here and I find Vimeo to be unreliable. Buffer; choke, buffer; choke. I do like the COW's video hosting and I'll be making greater use of that when I upgrade my website in the next few months.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:10:18 pm

Funny Jason, I met a guy when I first moved to Seattle, in the 70s, that had been raised in Bremerton and never gone up onto Rainier. Seemed bizarre, but there you have it.

Amazing that you are having buffer problems on 10Mb FIOS, but I guess we could draw the conclusion that Vimeo is not as robust a back end infrastructure as Youtube, which would be a logical thing to assume. Google does have the cash to throw hardware and fibre at bandwidth problems, and Youtube could easily be leveraging all those datacenters.

Lastly, I find that Vimeo works much better when I tell my clients to turn off HD if they aren't really needing it.

Alf

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 2, 2011 at 5:54:36 pm

Actually Jason I have had issues in our office streaming videos off of vimeo as well. I haven't ran into the buffer issues with YouTube or CreativeCow that I have on Vimeo. I have wondered about our connection or how Vimeo has buffered on other computers.

I think the pricing, branding, and embedding options plus having vimeo do all of the conversion work to make it available for mobile and iOS devices make this a good deal for small clients.

Al, yea I can see this being a good tool for some non-profits too.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:57:10 am

HUGE TIP....turn off the HD with the HD blue button in the bottom right corner and they will play like butter and look great.

Not everyone will discover this, i.e. clients, but it works for me! And my kids.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Scott Carnegie
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:19:39 pm

YouTube has removed their length restrictions.

http://www.MediaCircus.TV
Media Production Services
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 2, 2011 at 8:49:50 pm

[Scott Carnegie] "YouTube has removed their length restrictions."

Only for "selected users with a history of complying with the YouTube Community Guidelines and our copyright rules." This means you would have to get a youtube channel up and and running, start posting and wait and wait and wait. Youtube offers no real road map for how or when you can reach that point, which can be impracticable for clients who want to get up and running.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Aug 4, 2011 at 9:41:03 am

I use Vimeo exclusively for uploading secure, password protected content for client review and have rarely had issue with performance. The quality, if I compress properly before upload, can be amazing with HD content. I'm in the MId Atlantic, wondering if location has anything to do with performance?

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]